Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old

Default Can't Find Mach_Kernel 10.5.6 Error - 09-14-2009, 06:07 PM

All night I've been following mechdrew's NetbookInstaller 1 USB Installation here:

NetbookInstaller 1: USB Installation via Mac | Guides | OS X | mechdrew

I have a Mini 10v (since yesterday) and Retail OSX 10.5. 8GB LaCie Flash Drive. The first attempt kept giving me kernel panics not long into install. I searched and found this thread:

10v OSX Install Freeze

So I downgraded from A06 to Bios A04 (following drumma92's excellent instructions) at 5:00 am. I put the Mini under the kitchen sink with towels over it to muffle the sound. People in the above thread reported immediate success by the downgrade.

Second attempt went well until after I installed the 10.5.8 combo upgrade and used NetbookInstaller on the Mini. I got an error when trying to reboot "Can't find mach_kernel 10.5.6".

Too bad for me I've just got the 8GB drive because each time I have to erase it to add the upgrade and then install that. My other drive is only 512 MB.

So I started over. 10.5 install went fine but this time I thought I would install (again manually) 10.5.6 instead of .7 or .8. I mean that's the kernel it couldn't find right? I'm no expert but I can usually muddle my way through this kind of thing, thanks to forums like this.

Well here is where I might be able to provide at least a clue for those of you who know. After I installed 10.5.6 upgrade on top of retail 10.5, I opened the HD to get into applications for NetbookInstaller, and there is a file icon saying Mach_kernel 10.5.6 under it. Right in the HD folder beside system, user, application, and library folders! Cool I figure, too tired to stop and realize it didn't belong there. So after I seemingly successfully run NetbookInstaller app again, the file is gone from the HD folder, and I get the same "Can't find Mach_kernel 10.5.6" message when rebooting, which stops me dead in my tracks again.

Help with this would really be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  (#2) Old

Default 09-14-2009, 07:42 PM

I am running the same install right now and having the identical problem.

Dell Mini 10v (OS X 10.5.8)
  (#3) Old

Default 09-14-2009, 07:48 PM

Now, on yet another attempt, I finally notice that after running NetbookBootMaker (I know I spell it differently each time), if I open up OSXDVD, there is the Mach_kernel 10.5.6 file in the root folder of my USB drive. Is it supposed to be there? Baumer you see it there? Are you using a 10.5 retail disk like me?
  (#4) Old

Default 09-14-2009, 09:37 PM

I will try again tonight. I plan on going back to the Dell EFI (mechdrew) method. I am kicking myself. I had a 100% working 10.5.8 install, but I got greedy and tried to do 10.6 using NBI 8.2. I have had nothing but problems with NBI 8.2 - using it for 10.5 and 10.6.

Dell Mini 10v (OS X 10.5.8)
  (#5) Old

Default 09-14-2009, 09:49 PM

Galavanter,

I see what you're talking about. Here's what I tried, which seems to be working. It seems NetBookInstaller deletes the mach_kernel file from the Mini HD. All I did was copy it from the Mini HD to a USB drive (if it's not already there) before running NBI, and then copying back after NBI deletes it but before restarting.

I had 10.5.6 pretty stable, but ran into kernel panic headaches when trying to bump up to 10.5.7. I think I'm through with NBI for now. Going to follow Baumer's lead and try Mechdrew's Dell EFI method to go straight to 10.5.8.
  (#6) Old

Default 09-15-2009, 12:41 AM

I have the same problem, getting the message "can't find mach_kernel 10.5.6"

I wonder, if we need 10.5.6 retail-DVD for a smooth install??

It seems that versions < 10.5.6 should be installed with the Dellefi-method.

What do you think?

By the way: I used a 10.5.0-DVD, install works, but sound isn't working.
Do you have the same problem?
  (#7) Old

Default 09-15-2009, 01:46 AM

I had the same symptom, too. It was remedied by following steps:

1. On the Chameleon screen, type "mach_kernel" and hit return. (The characters are shown at the bottom.)
2. OS X starts up.
3. Use Terminal and go to /Extra directory.
4. Find com.apple.Boot.plist
5. sudo vi com.apple.Boot.plist and find the string "mach_kernel.10.5.6", erase ".10.5.6" and save it. (You know how to use vi.)
6. Restart the system and cross your fingers.
  (#8) Old

Default 09-15-2009, 02:30 AM

oioaoi I followed steps 1 and 2 and am in terminal. But I need specific instructions from here. Although I have used it a few times, following others instructions, I really have no idea what to type or what else to do. For #3 I typed "/Exra directory" and got back "-bash: /Extra: is a directory". If you have a few minutes to spare I would appreciate it. I feel like I am so close. I should add per 9RE9's suggestion I copied the mach_kernel 10.5.6 file back to the Mini HD after NetbookInstaller apparently deleted it. This now gives me a kernel panic at start up. Thanks.
  (#9) Old

Default 09-15-2009, 02:51 AM

I should add for everyone else, that with oioaoi's simple "mach_kernel" command, I'm surfing the net and watching and listening to videos in 10.5.8. I'm staying right here at this point. I'll boot this way every time if I have to...
  (#10) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to meklort Send a message via MSN to meklort Send a message via Yahoo to meklort
Default 09-15-2009, 03:04 AM

I'm just wondering how everyone is upgrading.

You should be doing the following after you have 10.5 running
1) Install 10.5.8
2) reboot to safe mode OR to your usb install drive.
3) run NetbookInstaller.
If that doesn't work, let me know and I'll see if I can fix it.

Do *not* run NetbookInstaller before you reboot.

Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 2 GB RAM | 32 GB Buffalo SSD | BIOS A05
Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 1 GB RAM | 160 GB HDD | BIOS A06
My Blog | NetbookInstaller code repository | NetbookInstaller Website | Want a Lockerz.com invite? message me.

« External Projector issue | I have some Mini 10v questions (RAM upgrade related).... »