Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default Install Mac OS X from Linux. - 09-02-2009, 07:41 AM

Hi all,

I'm reciving my Dell Mini 10v in a couple of days. Thinking of installing Mac OS X. Been following some of the guides and discussions here but can't seem to find any solution regarding my situation. Im running Linux at my desktop, having a 16GB USB stick and the retail DVD. Will it be possible to prepare the installation process from this? Anyone had a successful story to share here?

(#2) Old
Default 10-09-2009, 05:38 PM

Yes, you would need to use vmware or qemu or virtualbox with an osx leopard vm (not that hard to find)- see my post (its for windows but it should work exactly the same way): How to Install OSX using only Windows
  (#3) Old
Send a message via AIM to meklort Send a message via MSN to meklort Send a message via Yahoo to meklort
Default 10-09-2009, 10:33 PM

You should be able to setup a usb drive on linux right now (assuming you have hfs support and can format a hfs file system).

What you'll need to do is
1) Partition the usb drive with 1 partition (mbr)
2) Format the partition hfs+
3) Copy all files form the install dvd to the new partition, preserving permissions.
4) Copy the contents of the NetbookCD to the partition
5) Install chameleon onto the usb drive using fdisk and dd.

I haven't done it myself, so you'll have to figure out the commands, but that's essentially how to do it.

Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 2 GB RAM | 32 GB Buffalo SSD | BIOS A05
Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 1 GB RAM | 160 GB HDD | BIOS A06
My Blog | NetbookInstaller code repository | NetbookInstaller Website | Want a invite? message me.

« install Mac OS X 10.5.7 without a Mac | No Operating system found »