Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default OSX Mini 10v Install problem - 08-26-2009, 02:28 AM

Hello Dell Mini forum. I've been following this forum for the last month or so and finally decided to get a Mini10v and load up OSX. I've been following the guides and videos posted by Anguish and have had great success up until today when I have been trying to install OSX 10.5.6 and am getting an error.

Install is failing, and telling me that "The installer could not validate the contents of the 'Essentials' package. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance"

I am using a Mini10v N270, bios A05, with 2gb of Corsair memory I installed once I got the netbook. I'm using the dellminiboot8_0_2b1 loaded onto a small flash drive and have no problems getting into the OSX install. I used the TransMac program on my desktop PC to make a dmg of the OSX 10.5.6 retail install disk that I bought from Amazon yesterday.

I am then using TransMac to format with the 10.5.6 retail image on to a 16gb usb flash drive. I've prepped the Mini10v's hard drive with a 40gb MacOS extended journaled partition to install to, and the install seems to be going okay for a few minutes before I get this error and it stops.

I've tried about 5 times now. I've re-imaged the OSX disk 3 times and reloaded those onto the flash drive and on to another USB hard drive to try that out, and I keep getting this same error during the install.

Has anyone else run into anything like this?
  (#2) Old
Default 08-26-2009, 02:45 AM

That error message comes up when you're having a DVD read error. I know it's a hassle but returning the disk will probably solve your problem.

Alternatively, you may want to try creating an image using a different DVD drive. Some drives have better error correction than others.

Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.6 | BIOS A04 | NBI '51 | 16 SSD | 2 GB RAM | BT
  (#3) Old
Default 08-26-2009, 08:17 PM

That's a big disappointment. I tried imaging on another desktop and a laptop last night, and no matter what the OSX install on my Mini gives up to the Essentials error after a couple minutes with every image. I'll have access to a Mac this weekend so I think I'll try methods using it to make the image before I give up and try and convince Amazon to accept a return of an opened operating system disk.

Thanks for the input.

« different performace when on battery vs. on power | Sleep & USB Mouse »