Dell Mini 1018 Forum for discussion on the refreshed Dell Mini 1018, released Q3 2010.

(#1) Old
Default Mini 1018 BIOS query - 05-24-2013, 07:40 PM

I am used to following specific instructions on a BIOS update, but unfortunately the Dell site fails.

My Dell Mini 1018 (windows 7 starter) has Dell inc. BIOS A01 and Dell recommends using the BIOS update to A02.

So I download the file and unzip it to my Dell\Drivers Directory in the new folder R288050 but there things come to a halt as there is no instruction what to do next.

Two applications exist KENTA02 and WIN_KENTA02 with a rom file and two text documents (no use for instructions).

So where does one go to next?

For other BIOS updates I have had to change files names to a .BIN file before updating and similar, but I have no idea what is required by the Dell BIOS. So I don't fancy trying a flash from windows just by running WIN_KENT02 until I know what I am doing!

Edit - Contents of the self extracting R288050 file are:

Edit 2:
Well are reading through the forum for instructions it seems more are to do with failed BIOS updates. The ONLY reason I planned to do one is because of the way DELL advise it is recommended.

The bottom line is, the out of warranty 1018 I bought can stay with version A01 since it works. I have no reason to believe it will crash or something when I upgrade from windows starter. The last thing I want to do is to use some flaky utility and kill my otherwsie working PC

Last edited by Blagard; 05-28-2013 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Added info

« Fast HDD 10.000/min thermic problems? | Hard Drive work for windows update »