Dell Mini 1018 Forum for discussion on the refreshed Dell Mini 1018, released Q3 2010.

(#1) Old
Default Mini 1018 so slow - 07-23-2011, 11:14 AM

Hi all! I have a Mini 1018 that i bought at the end of January this year to be used mainly for travel, not at home where i use a normal laptop. The Mini has always driven me a bit mad with its slow boot and slow performance, it also is difficult with wireless connection to the internet although it does work eventually. I have persevered with it although it does drive me insane if i am trying to do something important and it is not responding or otherwise not functioning. Does anyone have any suggestions to speed it up and generally improve it?
  (#2) Old
Default 08-01-2011, 10:01 PM

Check your processes and see what's holding your mini up. Too much overhead will cause it to swap file and slow down. Dell does ship with some bloat.

I run retail 7 ultimate 32bit with 1gb of memory and have no issues at all. It's really only a pain when I'm viewing certain video.

-- 2120 | black | N550 | 250 gb | 2 gb | 7 ult 32bit
-- Alienware MX11 R1 | Black | dual 7300 | 500 gb | 4 gb | Win7 Pro 64bit
  (#3) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Default 08-01-2011, 11:22 PM

Windows in general does slow down with time, I would reformat and reload Windows...something other than the starter edition....dont use the restore disks because that will put back all the BS (Dell crap) that you wanna get rid of in the 1st place.....

PS. dont forget to reload your Dell Drivers will need them

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#4) Old
Default 08-16-2011, 08:31 AM

Get rid of the OS it comes with (Windows 7 starter) and put a fresh copy of Windows 7 on it, quite a difference in speed. Upgrading to 2Gb or ram will make a massive improvement too.
  (#5) Old
Default 01-30-2012, 04:26 AM

go to start menu search performance click on advanced tools which is on upper left hand corner of screen then click on adjust appearance and performance link when that pops up the first tab open is visual effects click on the dot that says for best performance that helped me out alot

---------- Post added at 11:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 PM ----------

also uninstall programs not being used which u can do thru control panel i took off all dell support stuff plus a few others there is a few hundred Mb being taking up for nutin buy a memory stick and use that as well with your com mem it gives u that option when u plug stick in and auto run comes on it will be last option in that menu also u can close whatever virus protection came on like scanners that run for no good reason i know some of them run just use firewall and scan on reg basis my dell since yesterday has ran super quick after i changed all this also change color to windows original also start menu search resource monitor and go from there im not a computer genius and i figured it out try these tell me what u think
  (#6) Old
Default 03-12-2012, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by englishempire View Post also is difficult with wireless connection to the internet although it does work eventually...

I had issues connecting to wi-fi while running on batteries, after some research it turns out that the realtech wireless card has a bug that corrupts 'packets' (the information sent from the laptop to the router and vice-versa) when in power save mode.

The solution is to change your performance settings in the power options screen of device manager. Start > Control Panel > power options > Select high performance...

...and if that is the problem you should have no more trouble. Your battery life will reduce slightly but I haven't notice much difference in battery life.

(#7) Old
Default 05-09-2012, 08:54 AM

My computer have a similar issue.
  (#8) Old
Default 05-10-2012, 06:41 AM

Check your processes and see what's holding your mini up. Too much overhead will cause it to swap file and slow down. Dell does ship with some bloat.

« Best Windows 0S for Netbook Gaming? | Help finding 1018 Battery »