Dell Mini 1012 Discussion forum on the new 2010 Dell Mini 1012, featuring an Intel Atom N450 CPU.

(#1) Old
Default BSOD after wake up on Dell mini 1012 with Crucial m4 SSD - 04-09-2012, 01:56 AM

I've installed 128 GB m4 into Dell Inspiron Mini 1012 netbook.
Upgraded drive's firmware to 309.
Installed Windows 7 anew (ultimate, on unpartitioned drive, if that matters).
Installed all possible drivers taken from dell and/or hardware vendors.
Everything works fine except one fundamental for a mobile computer feature: it can't wake up from sleep.
The bios version is the latest one (A012), fresh Intel chipset drivers are installed, I've tried with or without Intel storage driver, tried all possible bios settings combinations -- legacy usb on/off etc., tried disabling LPM in registry.

I understand thousands of people experience the same issue with other brands of SSDs and PCs, but here it is in details anyway: computer falls asleep (S1 or S3, I'm not sure) fine; it only wakes up on power button press, then it hangs for a while, then for a fraction of second displays a squashed blue screen and reboots. Depending if password is required or not, I can see the desktop for couple of seconds.

Given that HDD indicator stays off after waking up and crash dump (or any events in a log) don't get saved, I assume the drive fails to initialise after wakeup and windows then crashes on its first attempt to access the drive.

My questions are:
- Is it "normal" for Windows 7 on mini + SSD?
- Are there any secret ways to fix the problem?
- Can I expect different behaviour if I install Intel 320 series SSD? Kingston?

Thank you.
  (#2) Old
Default 04-11-2012, 12:33 AM

Okay, Intel 320 fixed it.
  (#3) Old
Default 04-14-2012, 09:16 PM

I had the exact same issue on a Dell Inspiron mini 1012 after installing the Crucial M4 SSD.

I checked what firmware the SSD was using, and it was 309.

I updated it to the latest 000F available from the Crucial's website. After this FW update the on wake issue went away.

Also, oddly enough this latest and greatest 000F was just released 04/11/2012, a few short days after you gave up on this drive.

Further, yes it is normal to use an SSD over an HDD for a mini -- in fact, it is better. SSD's draw less power, make less noise, are less susceptible to damage from heat/vibration/etc., and are far more responsive.

In fact, the reason I installed the M4 was because the stock HDD that came with it died and became unusable. In passive cooled devices (such as the mini) an HDD under constant heat can wear out more quickly, especially if the mobile device is moved frequently.

Last edited by eir; 04-14-2012 at 09:41 PM.
  (#4) Old
Default 04-15-2012, 10:23 AM

I actually meant if it's normal for ssd to fail to wake up. It's good to know they've fixed the firmware -- will use the drive in some other setup
  (#5) Old
Default 05-06-2012, 03:33 AM

I picked up a Crucial m4 today after reading this thread, it works great in my 1012 with the newest firmware.

(I had gotten an ADATA S510 earlier this week, that drive had the BSOD on wake from sleep problem with the newest firmware (3.2.3 or 3.3.2, I forget))
  (#6) Old
Default 06-17-2012, 06:23 PM

I' m running my 1012 now with a 120GB OCZ Agility 3. Some people on the forum at OCZ seem to have had issues, but it's been fine so far for me. And I am running the 2.15 firmware it came with.

« Dell Mini 1012 Bios Pasword Protected | Parameter is incorrect »