Dell Mini 1012 Discussion forum on the new 2010 Dell Mini 1012, featuring an Intel Atom N450 CPU.

(#1) Old
Default Which Ubuntu version is recommended or works best? - 11-23-2011, 04:49 PM

I just got a 1012 and was going to sell it but it's pretty slick so far. I've already installed Ubuntu 11.10 64bit. I went to Hulu to check out the video playing capabilities and immediately noted the video I picked (just a random TV show) had it's sound for the show playing in the background (and sounded stuttery a bit) but Hulu was still displaying the initial ad not the show in Firefox?

So which version and 32 / 64 bit works best?

My 1012 has the HD screen, N450, Intel 3150, 2 gig RAM, 250 gig HD, bluetooth, no TV tuner
  (#2) Old
Default 12-15-2011, 05:16 PM

I have never been a big fan of the Ubuntu distrobution. I am currently playing with Fedora. Installing the full version is VERY slow. I first tried F16, but didn't really like. Was installing F15 last night, but the power cord accidentally got pulled and I lost power during the install, so I have to try again tonight.

The one thing I have noticed about running Linux is that my machine get MUCH hotter than it did when I was running Windows. I think it might be because the CPU is running at 100%, but there is insufficient cooling available. Once I get F15 installed, I am going to try to tone it down with the APM features.

« Dell Mini 1012 Webam Drivers | Linux and AT&T WWAN? »