Dell Mini 1012 Discussion forum on the new 2010 Dell Mini 1012, featuring an Intel Atom N450 CPU.

(#1) Old
Default Remapping Function Keys? Linux... - 10-19-2011, 09:36 AM

Hello all,

I'm new to the site. I just discovered it trying to figure out an answer to my question, but isn't that how it always works?

Anyway, love my mini 1012. I put Crunchbang linux on it and the OS only takes up 70 MB of ram, so I can use basically all of the software I have at the same time and this netbook loves it with only 1 GB of ram. Ok, to my question...

I have 2 complaints about this netbook (amongst many things I like), and one of them is the need to hit the Fn key to use the function keys. I've been trying to figure out how to remap the keys so I do not have to do this, because in Crunchbang you use F2 and F3 an awful lot (at least I do), but I am having trouble.

Is there anyone in here that has remapped the function keys in Linux to get rid of the necessity of holding Fn to access them? If so, your help would be greatly appreciated. If not, well, that's the way it goes.

I have changed keybindings using xmodmap before in Linux to make caps lock = escape, and that worked fine, but I cannot figure out what keys are what in xmodmap for the function keys, etc...

(#2) Old
Default 10-19-2011, 01:20 PM

There is a setting in the bios that will toggle the function keys so you don't have to hit Fn.

« 1st post memory related | Upgrade LCD from 1024x600 to 1366x768 »