Dell Mini 1012 Discussion forum on the new 2010 Dell Mini 1012, featuring an Intel Atom N450 CPU.

(#1) Old
Default memtest86+; mini spontaneously shutting down - 01-15-2011, 08:47 PM

I recommend the free program memtest86+, a memory test program.

Very few modern PCs are designed with memory error detection circuitry. So if you have bad memory, it will manifest as odd symptoms and rarely explicit messages.

Memtest86+ is a stand-alone program that will test RAM until you stop it. I often use it to detect or rule out memory errors. I also use it whenever I install new memory.

memtest86+ is free, open source, and licensed under the GPL. Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

I bought my son a refurbished Dell Mini 1012 from the US online Dell outlet (I'm in Canada but he is in the US).

His computer spontaneously shuts down sometimes. We are guessing that this might be due to overheating. So while the computer was here over Christmas, I've tried some testing.

I left memtest86+ running. All was fine after 45 minutes. But when I came back 6 hours later, the machine was off and cold. Note: the computer was on a flat surface, not a rug or cushion. I repeated this test with the same result.

I left two copies of burnmmx running under Win7 for perhaps 6 hours and all was well when I came back. cpuburn

Dell support suggested trying the new A11 BIOS. That didn't fix things. They also suggested cleaning out the vents but they look quite clean.

Have others tried memtest86+ with their Mini 1012 machines?

Have others experienced spontaneous system shutdown?
  (#2) Old
Default 01-16-2011, 12:14 PM

Mine works 7/24 since 2010 May, sometime 1 month continuous run time without restart. There wasn't any freeze.

Dell Mini 1012 Black ; Windows 7 Ultimate64 ; Intel Atom N450 ; HD TrueLife 1366 x 768 Screen ; 2GB RAM ; 120GB OCZ Agility3 SSD ; 6 Cell Battery ; Broadcom Crystal HD Media Accelerator ; Dell 365 Bluetooth ; Dell 1510 WLAN ; Dell 5540 HSPA Adapter & GPS ; 1.3MP Camera

« A11 Bios | Force 1336x768 ? »