Dell Mini 1012 Discussion forum on the new 2010 Dell Mini 1012, featuring an Intel Atom N450 CPU.

(#1) Old
Default Upgrading - 01-13-2011, 10:20 PM

Hello to everyone,

I've had my Dell 1012 for sometime now and I'm really not that satisfied as when I first started using it. Basically what I would like to do is upgrade my netbook. I know that you can upgrade the ram to 2gb's but that's about it. Oh, and the hard drive.

What I've heard is that you can use your Flash Drive and add an SD card. Which I have done and I received errors telling me that my SD card won't work with increasing the proformance as well as the Flash Drive.

What, I'd like to do is change my OS from windows 7 Starter to 7 Ultimate but, then I'm not sure what to get. My options are if I continue with 7 I need to get 32-bit or 64-bit which then confuses me on the memory. Is it still going to be the same Ram is 2GB? I've heard a lot of people switching to different OS's. I have a Mac. So, I don't want to go that route. I'm really scared to use Linux. If I stay in the means of Windows 7 do I go with the 32 or 64-bit? Then what Ram will I need?

Also, I've been hearing a lot about the new Dell netbook duo core. Why can't I just upgrade the Motherboard and Processors? I've seen some people do some crazy things with their Dell netbooks so, why wouldnt I be able to do that? Does anyone know? Also, I'd like to add the Blue Tooth add on that I guess you can buy from Dell. I really wish you could get the keyboard to light up.

I appreciate everyone who is willing to give me advice on what they've done with their Dell or if they would know what to do or have had problems with upgrading anything.

Thank You Everyone, So, far this has been a pretty cool site and I really want my Netbook to run a lot faster.

(#2) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Default 01-13-2011, 10:39 PM

go with the 32bit version of Win7, even with the 2gb upgrade you wont be able to take full advantage of the 64bit anyway, it requires at least 2.5-3gb to function properly, preferabley 4gb which is out of the question anyway.....also you are on the 1012 so OSX is NOT an option for you whether you want it or not....maybe someday but it doesnt run on the 1012 yet..and NO you cant upgrade the mobo, if you want duo core, sell the 1012 and buy the Dell Duo its dual core but you will lose battery life on the other side

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case

« Matte Black Covers. | A11 Bios »