Dell Mini 1012 Discussion forum on the new 2010 Dell Mini 1012, featuring an Intel Atom N450 CPU.

(#1) Old
Default Determine correct XP drivers for 1012... - 11-10-2010, 03:09 AM

- I am in the process of replacing win7 with XP, primarily because none of our software works with even the 32-bit version. That and it's dog slow even after a 2G memory upgrade. Even not fully installed XP runs significantly faster than win7 ever did.
- But I have an issue. I downloaded every XP driver for the 1012, so I'm pretty sure I have the driver I need. I have three devices that I cannot identify the correct driver for.

1. SM Bus Controller
2. Network Controller
3. Intel Centrio Advanced-N WiMax 6250

- I believe the "Tiger Chipset" driver will fix item 1.
- I believe Item 2 is the Bluetooth controller, but when I try to install the driver it says the radio is off and I should press Fn-F2 or the hardware. Sadly this doesn't work, and the BT driver won't install unless the radio is on. So I need to either figure out how to turn the radio on, or figure out the *correct* driver to use. (grin)
- Item 3 is supposed to have come with the unit from Dell, not added after-the-fact, but non of the Dell drivers contain "6250".

- Any suggestions?

- Ragnorok
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 11-10-2010, 03:14 AM

1st, 9 out of 10 people agree that Win 7 runs faster on the Minis than XP, so I dont know what your problem is, you may have other issues with other programs running, but Win 7 is faster on the Minis, I run both and can tell you first hand (I even have Aero enabled in Win 7), its a shame that you have to go back to XP, 2nd the radio for the bluetooth requires a Dell Utility to turn on, you may want to search the forums, I just posted a link for it yesterday....Good Luck

PS. Welcome to the forum....

NOTE: try checking the Windows XP Section on this forum

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#3) Old
Default I guess I'm that 10th one, then... - 11-10-2010, 04:33 AM

Hi rrfranczak3,

- Thanks for the quick reply! I don't know what's up, either, except yesterday it was slow on win7 starter, and today it's fast on XP Pro. (shrug) But speed isn't relative to not being able to run the software we want to run, and don't want to re-buy when we know it works fine on XP, and even have valid XP licenses lying around. There it is. I have a drive image of that installation in case we should ever decide a horrible mistake has been made.

- So the devices. Numbering from the initial post:

1. The Tiger Pointer Chipset driver did in fact address this as well as a number of USB controller drivers I wasn't aware I was missing, so the web cam works now.

2. This was *not* BT. See below.

3. Dell did not have WiMax drivers, but Intel's website did. Installed them and discovered #2 was the Wifi part of the WiMax card, which appears as a separate device.

- So all mystery devices have been installed and are functional.

Thanks again!!...

« Dell mini models | Mini 1012 Supports output to tv? »