Dell Mini 1012 Discussion forum on the new 2010 Dell Mini 1012, featuring an Intel Atom N450 CPU.

(#1) Old
Default Bluetooth overheating in my mini 1012? - 11-04-2010, 08:52 PM

Hi there,

I just got my mini 1012 last week, and just last night I started having some trouble with my bluetooth.

I use bluetooth headphones almost exclusively, for my iphone, and now my netbook, so naturally I'm constantly using the bluetooth module. I started using the netbook on my bed (I know you shouldn't do that, but really, I wasn't stressing the hardware, and NHC said the CPU was sitting around 40-45C, not too bad.

All of a sudden my headphones cut out, and bluetooth is nowhere to be found in device manager. After a restart (not a cold boot) device manager shows an unknown device in the USB section, showing error code 43, and telling me windows has stopped using it because it reported a problem. The only way to restore bluetooth is to turn the computer right off, and then boot it. If it's on the bed still, the bluetooth won't last very long, as it appears to overheat again.

The question is basically; is it normal for the bluetooth module to generate enough heat to shut itself off, or is it very sensitive to heat? (I hardly think 45C should be enough to shut it down.)

It seems to be working fine sitting on my desk.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice.

edit: I was just using the netbook on my desk with the cpu no hotter than, once again, 45C. The bluetooth module shut down again, is anyone else having this problem??
  (#2) Old
Default My BT is OK. - 11-04-2010, 11:23 PM

I'm using it for my white mice "M-RCQ142" Logitech V470 Cordless Bluetooth Laser.

V470 Cordless Laser Mouse for Bluetooth®
  (#3) Old
Default 11-05-2010, 12:36 AM

I think I might have solved the issue, I've disallowed windows from powering down the bluetooth to save power, perhaps it wasn't supplying enough power before.
  (#4) Old
Default 05-23-2011, 06:41 PM

Many thanks for that drumstyx - I was having the exact same problems (both with the headphones and also with a Bluetooth mouse disconnecting) - I did a search based on your last post and found a page which got it fixed.

I was going to post the link but as a newbie I can't, so just Google the following:

"stop windows from powering down bluetooth"

« Enable multitouch on touchpad for Mini 1012! | I remember reading about using a 16gb USB thumb drive for installing 7 starter »