Dell Mini 1012 Discussion forum on the new 2010 Dell Mini 1012, featuring an Intel Atom N450 CPU.

(#1) Old
Default Installing Dell Drivers - 09-09-2010, 12:49 AM

Hey Guys,

Just got my Mini 1012 (in Passion Purple ) from Dell Australia. It was a refurbished unit ($389AU for 1gig, 250HDD, the usual. Came with bluetooh and Office 2010 as well which I was pretty happy about).

Unfortunately, I've already run into some problems. The wireless worked fine at home which is a WPA2 connection. However, at my University they use a WPA2-Enterprise. I followed their connection guide which can be found here (UniWireless Configuration Guide for Windows 7 - ITS - The University of Melbourne). But when I get to the login credentials it keeps asking me to input my username and password infinitely. Generally it takes 2-3 times before it registers so I thought something was odd after 20 or so attempts. I manually added the network as per the guide and found through advanced settings that you can actually pre-save the login credentials which 'fixed' the problem; it connects to the internet fine now however the connection says that theres no internet access.

I spoke to the IT about it and they said 95% of Windows 7 users have the same problem, so I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

That wasn't the problem though. Yesterday when this problem first occured when trying to connect I thought it might have been the wireless drivers. So I went to the Dell support page and thought may as well update all the drivers they had available as most were 2010 and going through the device manager the wireless at least was still 2009. Upon trying to install the wireless drivers, before prompting to the installation process, it says that the hardware may be unplugged/disconnected and that I should first unplug and replug it in before trying again.

Obviously if I can connect to my home network and the Uni wirless (albeit with a few hiccups) then the wireless card must be installed.

I even tried the latest Atheros drivers that a user had posted in the 1012 section and it gave me the same error.

I moved on to some of the other drivers, I installed the bluetooth ones and it gave me all kinds of problems. Now my Nokia e75 won't sync properly with Ovi Suite. It detects the phone and everything but when I press sync it won't do it anymore.

Thanks for taking your time in reading this, any experiences and/or advise is much appreciated. Hopefully its not a hardware problem otherwise looks like I'm sending it back!

« Why are there two Intel 3150 display adapters in the device manager | 350 and 500 GB Hard Drives on Amazon »