Dell Mini 1012 Discussion forum on the new 2010 Dell Mini 1012, featuring an Intel Atom N450 CPU.

(#11) Old
Default 09-13-2010, 02:51 PM

I think it runs Volume Shadow service for restore points - if rolling back to a previous state is not important to you then switching this off reduces disk I/O which should increase performance overall (depending on what type of apps you use ...)

I bought a Mini 1012 for my daughter (she won't get it until xmas though), and first thing I noticed was painful boot up time compared to OS X (not a fair comparison perhaps, but this is the 21st century and men were on the moon in 1969). I haven't disabled VSS yet though, cos she might need it one day .... I'll see how much of her stuff I can persuade her to keep up in the cloud ...

Upgrading RAM is a good idea too, and/or switching the HDD to SSD ....
  (#12) Old
Default 09-13-2010, 09:22 PM

My Mini 9 boots Windows 7 faster than it does OS X, but not by much. 25-30 seconds.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#13) Old
Default 09-15-2010, 02:19 PM

As Reflex suggested, if you can live with Open Office instead of MS office, then Linux is most definitely the way to go. I tested a whole bunch of the current crop of distros on a 1012 and wrote reviews of them in this forum's linux sections. In my experience, the best suited full distro (not a light one with limited customization) is Linux Mint 9, which is a more user friendly version of Ubuntu 10.04. I also wrote a review of that distro's performance on the 1012.

If you absolutely must have access to windows and it's programs, Then simply do a dual boot of LM9 and windows on your machine, and use windows when you need it (most of the time you won't).

As was suggested, spend the $50 and upgrade the RAM to 2GB.
  (#14) Old
Default 09-16-2010, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by dannoA View Post
Personally I think that Windows 7 Ultimate is unnecessary overhead for a Mini 1012. I would just go with Windows 7 Home. If you need to have your netbook join a domain I would consider Windows 7 Pro but probably would go with Windows XP Pro.
Do that (or depending on your uses you could make it with Windows XP Home) but make sure you get the SP3 version or update to it directly after install. Microsoft doesn't offer support for anything earlier than xp sp3 (as it says on their site i believe).

« 350 and 500 GB Hard Drives on Amazon | Will this battery fit a Mini 1012 ?. »