Dell Mini 1012 Discussion forum on the new 2010 Dell Mini 1012, featuring an Intel Atom N450 CPU.

(#1) Old
Default W7 64 Next ? - 07-30-2010, 04:16 PM

My nice new (refurbished) mini 1012 now has W7 64 installed, not quite strait forward install but now up and running – duel booted with the original installed xp
After the install windows update downloaded and installed a load of drivers etc and everything appears to be ok.

1st question
I was wondering if the auto downloaded drivers will be the best for the machine – if not then what drivers should I be looking to replace?

2nd question
Are there any Dell apps that I should be installing?

3rd question
I’ve resized the original xp partition to 10gb and increased the W7 partition to take up the then unused disk space. Taking into account the one year guarantee* should I keep the xp & hidden partition or delete them – is it as strait forward as deleting the partitions?
*I’m planning to upgrade the memory will that void the guarantee?

Would be interested to hear what other people did to get W7 running well & also long term strategies/thoughts regards original xp installation

(#2) Old
Default 07-31-2010, 08:44 AM

(#3) Old
Default 07-31-2010, 02:56 PM

Thanks for the reply and drivers - now installed and working

another question, in 'device manager', below 'network adapters' is a 'other devices' in which is a 'unknown device' entry, do you have any idea what that device is

(#4) Old
Default 07-31-2010, 07:10 PM

It is located IN the network adapters? If yes, have you plugged a usb wifi card or anything like that in the computer? If you want, post a picture here of your device manager.

Current system setup: Dell Inspiron Mini 1012 (Alpine White), 2GB ram, 56Wht 6 Cells battery, stock screen, dual booted Windows XP Pro & Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit.

« Wirless mouse won't allow mini to dim? | Latest Drivers for Windows 7 x64 or x86 »