Dell Mini 1012 Discussion forum on the new 2010 Dell Mini 1012, featuring an Intel Atom N450 CPU.

(#1) Old
Default Scratches!!! - 07-27-2010, 10:49 AM

Are the plastics of the Mini 1012 made of the most easily markable material known to man?

This morning I went to clean off the bezel around the screen with a microfibre cloth. After finishing I went to an area with more light and noticed it is now scratched to oblivion. So much so I checked the cloth to see if it was covered in grit.

I've emailed Dell to complain and ask for a replacement bezel but how can you avoid this? Just let the grease build up?
  (#2) Old
Default 07-27-2010, 03:49 PM

The thing is that the bezel is black and very glossy so when you just wash it, the dust that is already on the bezel will kinda do like a sandpaper reaction, i have the same problem, there's barely no more reflection on it, i guess its only the gloss that they put on that is just very crappy..

Current system setup: Dell Inspiron Mini 1012 (Alpine White), 2GB ram, 56Wht 6 Cells battery, stock screen, dual booted Windows XP Pro & Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit.
  (#3) Old
Default 07-28-2010, 07:18 AM

I had the same problem with mine too, its as soft as butter.

After they scratched my lid when it was in for repair I asked them to change the bezel too and they did. So far no more scratches - I am just using the lightest of touches to clean its scratch free so far

Dell Mini 1012: Windows 7 Home Premium: Alpine White LCD Cover: HD True Life 1366 x 768 Screen: Broadcom Crystal HD Media Accelerator Card with SRS Surround Sound: 250 GB HDD: 6 Cell Battery: Dell 365 Bluetooth: 1.3MP Camera

« 1012 Webcam is not opening | Outlet 1012 on the way!! »