Dell Mini 1012 Discussion forum on the new 2010 Dell Mini 1012, featuring an Intel Atom N450 CPU.

(#1) Old
Default SSD Upgrade Gremlins - 06-11-2010, 02:38 PM

I purchased a WD SiliconEdge Blue 128Gb SSD as an upgrade for my mini 1012 and used Apricorn EZ Gig II with the included SATA Wire that came with the software to clone the original 160Gb drive. The cloning process went without a hitch but when I install the new WD SSD drive the computer will not boot to Windows 7. The message I get is "The Boot Selection Failed Because A Required Device Is Inaccessable"

Any ideas??
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 06-11-2010, 04:44 PM

sounds like the drive is not did you format it?

PS. Welcome to the forum...

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#3) Old
Default 06-11-2010, 05:38 PM

I formatted the drive as NTFS before I started the cloning
  (#4) Old
Default 06-12-2010, 04:28 AM

did u clone the drive or did u clone the partition? boot information is stored on a small partition abuot 100mb by default
  (#5) Old
Default 06-20-2010, 10:14 PM

I have had exactly the same experiece. I have tried to upgrade my 1012 to an OCZ Vertex 2 60GB frive. I used Acronis to duplicate the partitions (all 3) but also received the same message - "The Boot Selection Failed Because A Required Device Is Inaccessable". Any ideas or progress?
  (#6) Old
Default 06-22-2010, 05:17 AM

Some of the boot info is outside the partitions, and so the whole disk needs to be cloned, byte per byte, not just the partition themselves.

Djof | "Je me souviens"
Black Mini 1012 with OCZ Onyx SSD and HD, Red Mini 9
  (#7) Old
Default 06-24-2010, 12:39 AM

I sent it back and went with the new Seagate Momentus XT
  (#8) Old
Default 07-06-2010, 12:13 AM

SSD upgrade successfully completed, and it has made a great improvement to the performance.

Steps to success
1. Image existing drive to the SSD - im my case I used Acronis, Clone Disk command, manually keeping partition sizes, which shrinks the last partition to fit onto the smaller SSD.

2. Make a bootable USB image of the Windows 7 install (see steps later)

3. Boot from the USB device (F12 at startup)

4. Repair the windows installation. The repair finds a problem with the boot process and offers to fit it. Select yes, reboot and be happy

So, all I needed was a repair, but as the 1012 would not boot the repair had to come from an external boot device.

Windows 7 provides a tool for creating a bootable USB from you existing media. In my case I had an ISO of the Windows 7 installation. Steps to create bootable USB are:

To make a copy of your Windows 7 ISO file:
  1. Click the Windows Start button, and click Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool in the All Programs list to open the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool.
  2. In the Source File box, type the name and path of your Windows 7 ISO file, or click Browse and select the file from the Open dialog box. Click Next.
  3. Select USB Device to create a copy on a USB flash drive or select DVD disk to create a copy on a DVD disk.
  4. If you are copying the file to a USB flash drive, select your USB device in the drop-down list and click Begin copying. If you are copying the file up to a DVD, click Begin burning.
  (#9) Old
Default SSD Upgrade Successful - 02-19-2012, 02:11 AM

I was also able to do an upgrade, on a Mini 1018, with Windows 7. I didn't need the Windows ISO image, and was able to reclaim the Restore partition space.

I have a Dane-Elec 80 GB SSD which comes with a SATA to USB case (not required) and Acronis Migrate Easy, a stand-alone clone function from Acronis True Image, which I also have (2011 version).

What didn't work: Cloning my hard drive to the SSD with any of the above software. The SSD would never boot.

What worked:
  • Backed up the old hard drive using Acronis True Image (your favorite drive image backup program would probably work just as well).
  • Using the old hard drive, made a Dell Recovery Disk on a flash drive.
  • Put the SSD into the netbook, booted off the flash drive (using F12 at boot), and created a factory fresh disk image on the SSD.
  • Took the drive backup files over to my desktop PC, and hooked up the SSD to it. I used the USB case from Dane-Elec, but it would also work to just plug the SSD into a spare SATA port on the PC.
  • Using Computer / Manage / Disk Management, deleted the Recovery and OS partitions. (Having the recovery flash drive, I don't think I need the Recovery partition, but I sure need the space on the SSD.)
  • Created a new OS partition on the SSD using all the free space. Made it active.
  • Restored the backup to the OS partition.
  • Reinstalled the SSD in the netbook.
Windows reinstalled some of the drivers automatically - not sure why - but the SSD booted just fine and works a lot faster than the hard drive.

Last edited by bilofsky; 02-19-2012 at 02:18 AM.

« Bricked 1012??? | Fan in 1012 (High Res/TV tuner version)? »