Dell Mini 1012 Discussion forum on the new 2010 Dell Mini 1012, featuring an Intel Atom N450 CPU.

(#1) Old
Default Dell Mini 1012 Upgrade - 05-21-2010, 05:17 PM

Hey there just joined this forum. I wanted to know if it would be feasible to add the Broadcom Crystal HD accelerator, GPS, TV tuner after purchasing the mini since the aforementioned options aren't available through Dell in India as of yet. I shall be purchasing the following configuration and am pretty certain that the PCIe slots would be there and wouldn't require any soldering, however if the upgrades aren't possible then probably I'll be getting my cousin to purchase it from the states but would definitely want to avoid the hassle:

Processor: Intel® Atom™ N450 (1.66GHz, 512K L2Cache)
Operating System: Genuine Windows(R) 7 Home Basic 32bit (English)
Display: 10.1" Widescreen HD (1366 x 768) WLED display
Memory: 2GB (1x2G) DDR2 800Mhz Memory
Hard Drive: 320GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
Video Card: Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator with WLAN and WWAN
Batteries: 60WHr 6-Cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
Dellâ„¢ Wireless 365 Bluetooth Module
Wireless 802.11n Card
  (#2) Old
Default 05-21-2010, 05:57 PM

You should not be certain that the slot will be there if you did not order the option. Some people have found that if they soldered their own connector it still did not work.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 05-22-2010, 01:28 AM

forget the hassle, have him order it..get it the way you want it upfront....I read all these posts of people buying the cheapest they can find then having to try to upgrade everything they should have ordered in the first the long run they probably go through more trouble and expense (and soldering)....I just bit the bullet, ordered mine completely loaded (granted paid the price), but now 9 months later I have no regrets and no upgrades (no soldering either) to be done....and couldnt be happier...

PS. the only thing I did upgrade was pulling out that tiny little 160gb drive and put in a 640gb..But I bought the drive from Dell anyway (3 days after I got the Mini)..

PPS. Welcome to the forum and Good Luck with your Mini....

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#4) Old
Default 05-22-2010, 02:58 AM

the problem here isn't the op not willing to pay for Broadcom Crystal HD accelerator, GPS, TV tuner, but rather he can't get it where he lives

1) broadcom crystal hd should come with your netbook already, if u got the 1366x768 screen, broadcom chip comes standard

2) your wwan card may have gps on it already, if not it can be replaced with one that does have gps

3) there's only enough room for wwan or tv tuner, not both! pick one and the other one has to be usb or modded in somehow (since u have wwan, there's no hole for the tv antenna, you'd need to wire for 2xantennas and drill a hole in the case, it's a lot of work)

---------- Post added at 12:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 PM ----------

Originally Posted by rrfranczak3 View Post
forget the hassle, have him order it..get it the way you want it upfront....
sometimes there's things u want that dell don't offer, for example how do i get dell to put in a touchscreen and an internal tv antenna for me? i started with the top model and went on from that
  (#5) Old
Default 05-22-2010, 03:56 AM

hmm I'd definitely prefer having the TV tuner card in place of the WWAN since I already have a usb stick for it and most of the time i can get access to a Wifi spot, so I guess I'll have to bug my cousin now, btw how did you put in a touchscreen and the internal TV antenna mate?? your machine must be like uber cool huh? and like if i go in for the internal antenna as well would it like save me the hassle of drilling through the base and everything??
  (#6) Old
Default 05-22-2010, 08:07 AM

touch screen is pretty well documented for netbooks, people have done and documented it for the past 2 years

internal antenna (aka coat hanger) is my idea, there are clips underneath the screen casing that holds to keep webcam, microphone wire in place; i use those clips to hold a piece of wire i cut from a coat hanger there. i just simply soldered a wire from the coat hanger to the antenna wire. it works! reception isn't as good as the rabbit ears.. but it works!

« Does the 1012 have square or non-square pixels? | 1012 vs 1010 »