Dell Mini 1012 Discussion forum on the new 2010 Dell Mini 1012, featuring an Intel Atom N450 CPU.

(#1) Old
Default A bit frustrated with Dell... - 05-13-2010, 11:53 PM

I am a bit frustrated with Dell and need to vent a bit.

I got a 1012 from the Dell outlet weeks ago. Regular screen, 6 cell battery, nothing too special. It had one bright pixel that bothered me so I called to see if they would replace that. They were nice and said they would swap it out.
Later I ran HD Tune on the Samsung Drive and had lots of C4 and C5 warnings. It also kept getting worse over time so I called again. Dell said they would check it out when changing out the screen.

The mini goes to Dell and comes back. The battery was not latched properly. Both rear latches were out, but the center latch was in place. Odd. I turn it on and the bright pixel was staring at me. Same exact pixel, so they did nothing about the screen.
The hard drive was swapped because it was now a WD, not Samsung. HD Tune liked this one. No errors.
I called to complain about the screen not being fixed, and they agree to fix it, and of course are nice about it and apologize. I should note Dell is very nice on the phone every time.

The mini goes to Dell and comes back again. Now the battery is latched on one side, but not the other, warping the back housing area. I had to fight to get it out and then installed and latched properly. It does not seem that any permanent damage was done, but things jammed in wrong upset me. I don't see any excuse for such sloppy work.
I turn it on and the screen has been fixed. No bad pixels now, but there was something funny.

The keyboard was bouncing around. I flip it over and the keyboard screws, all 3 of them, are missing. That is strange. I call Dell and they will send me the 3 screws.

I had removed some software and decided to restore to factory defaults.
Well, that didn't work. I used the proper procedure where you hit F8 when booting, then you follow the prompts and eventually restore from the Dell restore partition. I just get an Invalid Parameter error no matter how many times I try.

Back to the phone for Dell again. They initially walk me through the process again, but of course the results are the same. It seems the recovery partition is blank or missing something. They said I can just reload everything from the discs that came with the Mini, but that's a pain to say the least. After some complaining by me and them doing some checking they said they can send me a new hard drive and I will just have to swap it and give them the old one back.
I may do that depending on what they send me, or I may try to clone the new drive to the one I have since I know it looks good to HD Tune.

So now I have to wait for my screws and the new drive.
Am I the only one who has such luck?
  (#2) Old
Default 05-14-2010, 08:32 PM

I feel sorry for you. Their products can be difficult sometimes. I would never let a dell tech fiddle with my 10v, when mine died they came to my house, Not sure if they have that service in USA? (I live in New Zealand).
  (#3) Old
Default 05-14-2010, 11:00 PM

I was nervous about sending it in. I thought I would get it back all scratched up, but that did not happen. Some have reported that a Dell tech came to their house for certain issues. Maybe it has to do with the warranty you either buy or don't buy. I just have the standard 1 year that came by default.

Another thing that bothered me is how they first sent me an empty box with just a FedEx shipping label inside so I could send it to them for the work. Such was waste. Now I have 3 boxes total, the original and 2 for sending the mini in for work. I wish they would have just emailed me a label to print and I could have stuck that on the original box to ship back to them. Sure, not everyone has a printer and they are just trying to cause as little inconvenience as possible, but it's a wasteful policy.
  (#4) Old
Default 05-17-2010, 10:19 PM

Received a replacement hard drive today that was supposed to have a proper recovery partition. Nope. The Win 7 starter OS and all software was on the drive, but the F8 recovery process will not work. I think all the standard 1012 models with win 7 starter are made now from this same bad image. I let the OS get all set up and then tried the F8 recovery and it didn't work, so I did give it a chance.

This hard drive they sent me had a manufactured date of April 26th, so the image must have been applied very recently. Looks like there is no fix. Or do any of you guys know how to handle this besides calling Dell again?
  (#5) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Default 05-18-2010, 02:40 AM

I am guessing you still have no restore disks?

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#6) Old
Default 05-18-2010, 04:36 AM

I do have them, but it's 4 discs so a lot more work than having a working restore partition.
Plus with a Mini you have no optical drive inside so you need access to one to get the job done. If you were traveling and had a problem you have no discs or access to an external drive.

Also the driver CD Dell sends seems generic in that lots of drivers are on the thing and you sort of have to pick and choose what you need to install. Mistakes can be made or you just need to go to the Dell website and download the proper drivers, but that takes more time and possibly another working computer.

« Re-installing Windows XP on Mini 1012 | Does the 1012 have square or non-square pixels? »