Dell Mini 1012 Discussion forum on the new 2010 Dell Mini 1012, featuring an Intel Atom N450 CPU.

(#1) Old
Default Wobbling/wiggling power adapter plug (into the Mini)? - 05-06-2010, 06:17 AM

I just noticed that the power adapter plug is pretty wobbly when it's plugged into the power jack on the back of my Mini.

There's about 1/3" of play at the tail end of the plug itself if I wiggle it with my fingers.

What about you guys?

Mini 1012 | Black | 1G | 6-cell extended | Win 7 Starter | Xubuntu 10.04LTS
  (#2) Old
Default 05-06-2010, 07:26 AM

I find that my plug has 2 clicks and only after a firm push will it get past the first click and then feel nice and solid and illuminate the LED in the plug itself.

Dell Mini 1012: Windows 7 Home Premium: Alpine White LCD Cover: HD True Life 1366 x 768 Screen: Broadcom Crystal HD Media Accelerator Card with SRS Surround Sound: 250 GB HDD: 6 Cell Battery: Dell 365 Bluetooth: 1.3MP Camera
  (#3) Old
Exclamation 05-08-2010, 05:32 AM

Mine wobbles too. I just received my Dell Mini 1012 a few days ago. I don't hear a click when plugging it in but the connection still seems to be firm. It is hard for me to disconnect unless I apply some pressure on the palm rest (to prevent Mini from falling off the table) and pull out with force,

I posted a lengthy thread with pictures/videos detailing issues I am currently facing. Please check that thread out and let me know if you are having similar situations. Thanks =)

Here is the thread:
  (#4) Old
Default 05-10-2010, 01:28 PM

Don't worry about wobble. The power jack is not mounted directly on the motherboard.

Back several years ago most laptops did mount the power jack to the motherboard and it could easily get damaged by force. If the power jack was loose it meant it was broken off the motherboard.

Engineers got smarter and now most netbooks and laptops have the power jack mounted to a cable with a simple connector on the end that plugs into a matching connector on the motherboard. The looseness you feel is a result of the power jack itself not fitting perfectly snug into a matching feature in the bottom housing. The bottom housing is just a molded plastic part and there is some variance from one to another.

Here is a picture of a 10V I found through google. may be hard to see, but the power jack for this model is on the left side. You can see the cable going from the power jack to the motherboard.
The new 1012 model has the same basic design, but the power jack is just on the back now.

Maybe I lost some people, but the point is that you don't need to worry about wobble.
It isn't what you think it is. The connection is probably just fine, the whole jack housing can just move a bit with these new designs.

---------- Post added at 08:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 AM ----------
  (#5) Old
Default 05-10-2010, 01:49 PM

Neat -- that's a relief! At least it's easily replaceable if necessary.

You did figure out that I'm pretty old school -- I've had this exact problem happen before on one of the first laptops I owned. It ended up a disaster when the plug disconnected from the mobo.

Thanks for the info - that really helps.

Mini 1012 | Black | 1G | 6-cell extended | Win 7 Starter | Xubuntu 10.04LTS

« Multiple Chrome Processes | Speed Up Boot Time??? »