Dell Mini 1012 Discussion forum on the new 2010 Dell Mini 1012, featuring an Intel Atom N450 CPU.

(#1) Old
Default New user... help! - 03-06-2010, 01:47 PM

I just bought a 1012 and it's exhibiting the strangest behavior.

Specifically, I can access some sites (such as google) but not others (such as Those are just examples, but it seems I can access about 1 in 4 sites.

On the same LAN with another computer, I have no issues.

I'm 100% new to both Windows 7 and the Mini, so I don't know what may be the cause. I disabled (and then uninstalled!) the McAffee firewall to no avail.

I'm reeeeealy getting close to just installing Ubuntu on this or trying to brave an OS X hack, I'm so frustrated. But before I do that, I'd liek to see if there's a less time-consuming solution.

Short of that, any help? And Any ideas how I can restore the McAfee package as well?
  (#2) Old
Default 03-06-2010, 01:57 PM

Ping is a low-level IP network tester. Try running "ping" or "ping" and checking the output.

It also might be useful to try hooking up the Mini via a wire, and seeing if the situation improves or is unchanged.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old
Default 03-06-2010, 03:13 PM

I should elaborate-- I did ping, no luck. It will resolve the address to an IP, but not get a response.

I can ping my whole local network with no issues.

That's why I started looking at the firewall as a cause-- the basic underlying network seems sound.

I also installed firefox to see if it was some browser-based issue.

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

I'm willing to just restore the whole thing to the factory install (especially after nuking McAffee with no help).

---------- Post added at 03:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

Well, I can tether to my phone and everything works fine, so this must be some interaction between my home router and this machine. Not a Dell/Windows issue, likely.

Weird, annoying. I blame Comcast for requiring me to use their awful router.
  (#4) Old
Retired Mini user
Default 03-06-2010, 04:39 PM

Comcast doesn't require anything -- any router I've worked on from Comcast has the ability to go into bridged mode so you can put your own router behind it.

Getting an iPad
  (#5) Old
Default 03-07-2010, 02:37 PM

Mine doesn't let me have that kind of control.

Anyway, I've found numerous references to this issue and Windows 7, not specific to this computer, but no answer yet. Very frustrating, but not a Dell issue.

---------- Post added at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ----------

For those interested, I seem to have found the problem-- it's Comcast.

Comcast blocking 99% of sites with my Win 7 laptop - Windows 7 Forums

« Hard Drive on 1012 Question | Hardware Question...... »