Dell Mini 1012 Discussion forum on the new 2010 Dell Mini 1012, featuring an Intel Atom N450 CPU.

(#21) Old
Default 03-07-2010, 09:00 PM

just to cosign what ellveen was saying; Ive got windows 7 ultimate 64bit installed and it is running fine. I've noticed it used more ram then 32bit starter (around 700mb idle) but it is smooth. i've only got a gig and i havent had any slow downs yet while running multiple browsers, word, music, Dev c++, antivirus, etc. battery is 6+ hours while browsing and 5 hours when maxing out the processor. i love the battery life on this thing. i had the mini 1011 and it simply does not compaire. I grabbed the video driver off the intel website for aero and the only other driver i need is an unknown device which i belive is the card reader but i dont care to check it out. cheers
  (#22) Old
Default 03-08-2010, 10:23 PM

I upgraded the memory to 2Gb then put 64bit 7 Home Premium on. It was a spare copy I had so thought why not as I didn't want to stick with Starter.

Works smoothly and have no slowdowns or anything. As previous poster said I had to download drivers for graphics off intel site.

Battery life is brilliant even when surfing on the internet through built in mobile broadband.
  (#23) Old
Default 03-09-2010, 05:05 AM

64-bit Win7 has a really great ability to use 32-bit drivers and applications in many instances. However,there is reduced performance if they can be used. As for the n450 processor, IT will work with Hackintoshing a netbook. The issue is when it is paired with the Intel 3150 graphics Media Accelerator. Many video cards and chips are used back and forth between machines (Mac & PC). However, Intel has created coding on the 3150 only for PC based machines (or rather Apple hasn't decided to work on anything to use the 3150 chipset), and only for portables. unless another graphics company is used in netbooks that uses a chipset series with coding that can be cracked for Hackintosh, someone's gotta take the time to figure out how to create a flash process for the 3150, as well as code that will work with Apple's highly serialized hardware setup.Way too much time and programming required. It may happen, but it'll probably take a long time. You can thank iPad for Mac not using the 3150 graphics.

I find iPad worthless, especially since many people can Hackintosh a netbook with a fully functional OS, AND in many instances attach a touch screen mod......for less than $500USD, the lowest price you can purchase an iPad for. WTF? You can do this all with a 10v for around $450. But you'll see freaks getting their 10" iPhone and thinking it's the best thing since sliced bread.
  (#24) Old
Default To add to this post, I have a scratch and dent 1012 - 11-02-2010, 07:29 PM

Wiped out win7 starter for lack of customization like themes and others. Win7 ultimate feels snappier and happy on smaller partition (30Gig) The unknown driver is for wireless switch. Love the 1366x768, bluetooth, video decoder, atheros wi-fi, long batt life, sd card multi, Sony ms stick is fine and not exposed - in fact I have to use a tweezer to pull it out.

I complained to Dell for sending me the wrong color (black) and they send me a tech with a brand new blue cover/black bezel combination. I let the tech go since I don't want to do it on my work time. I did reuse the wires on my existing unit and did not use the new antenna. IMHO bad design since all the wires (camera and wifi antenna are all taped on the the plastic instead of giving a nice mounting on the side of the screen. because I was afraid that I have damaged the flexible green PCB wifi antenna. Made in PROC that's why.

The plastic case was probably design by a teenager in Asia. (By my fellow asian) They should design the colored back cover like the black bezel where it is uber easy to remove. All the wires should not be attached to it and provide a harness so that the antenna and camera will stay on the sides of the LCD module. Come-on dell, it is not hard. I will prepare a visio2010 drawing for you.

All in all I have a brand new looking "scratch and dent" laptop for US271. Will never buy again from dell outlet since the box says scratch and dent but the 1012 inside says it is a refurb. The bottom part of the laptop has a super duper sticky green label that says REFURBISHED (in other word - USED for more than a dozen of DAYS) . Do not attempt to remove the green sticker that says REFURBISHED. They used a glue that is very very strong.

So if you have the money do not waste your time and just buy what you need.
  (#25) Old
Default 11-16-2010, 03:12 AM

I just wiped out my 32 bit Windows 7 this weekend and reloaded with Windows 7 64 bit with all 64 bit apps and it runs much better. Installation was a breeze, Windows Update loaded the Intel drivers for video. I would have never thought x64 would be this nice on a 1012.
  (#26) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Default 11-16-2010, 03:22 PM

actually 64bit requires at least 3gb of memory to run at its best with 4-8gb being even better (with 2gb of RAM you are not getting the fullest advantage of 64bit anything) and most of the 32bit drviers run fine with the 64bit OS also....

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#27) Old
Default 11-17-2010, 04:23 AM

I am running win7 Ultimate 64 bit and Aero is nice. It is acceptable. Win7 also knows if it is attach to external monitor. My mini 1012 will automatically choose the 19 inch monitor and turn off the 10 inch. Mouse and KB is also attach. Very acceptable - It is not acting sluggish, performance is OK on the 19 inch. Not the best but for $271, I cannot complain.

« Won't Boot from External CD/DVD | Dell Mini 1012 slow »