Dell Mini 1012 Discussion forum on the new 2010 Dell Mini 1012, featuring an Intel Atom N450 CPU.

(#1) Old
Default Ubuntu 9.10 unstable after sleep - 01-31-2010, 03:48 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm running UNR on my 1012, and it's really unstable after sleeping for over 30 minutes or so. I end up having to do a hard shut down, which has caused me to have to re-install Linux on my root partition once. fsck got me running after it crashed from sleeping another time. Now I just shut down instead of sleeping, which is fine, but annoying.

Is anyone else seeing this behavior? If so, what did you do to fix it?

Kind regards,
  (#2) Old
Default 01-31-2010, 04:34 PM

I dunno about Linux on the new Mini 10. But...

Checking the logs may be helpful. I use "dmesg | less" in a terminal to read the system log, but there's a GUI interface, too.

It's possible that the Intel graphics driver has a couple bugs related to the new GMA3150 graphics. This might be worth some Googling.

Good luck.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old
Default 01-31-2010, 11:43 PM

Mine's been acting the same way. Oddly enough, I only seem to see the behavior if I suspend while firefox is open. I've recently dome some command-fu to enable multiple workspaces, and left a terminal open in workspace 2 before suspending.

After it woke up and firefox was predictably unresponsive, I flipped over to workspace 2, and killed the firefox process, which made everything ok again. Not ideal, but might be worth trying.
  (#4) Old
Default 02-01-2010, 07:24 PM

Hadn't thought of that. Good idea!
  (#5) Old
Default 02-18-2010, 01:29 AM

I was having a similar problem. Every suspend would = failed resume (screen stays dark, etc.) and I was about to consider Windows. I decided to do some digging through the BIOS settings, just in case, trying various settings (AHCI / ATA) which did not work. I'm not sure about youse guys, but my 1012 was from best buy and lacked Bluetooth. I went into BIOS and discovered that bluetooth was enabled in the BIOS despite my lack of card. Once I deactivated that, my 1012 resumed from suspend every time so far. I will repost if it croaks again.

Inspiron E1505 (Silver/White)
Latitude 2100 (Blue Ribbon) w/Touchscreen and WiFi Link 5100 AGN
Want Ubuntu on your 2100? Get your sound and touchscreen working!
Tech blog: Broken Hive Mind

« Now on Sale for $249 | Cheap SSDs in Australia for 1012 »