I recieved my dell mini 1012 now.
- Windows 7 Starter
- 6 Cell Battery
- 1366x768 display
- 250gb hardisk
- bluetooth module
These are my basic thoughts:
Not bad. Handy. Windows is normally snappy enough, however I quickly saw the limits when installing software and having multiple windows open.
It feels good in the hand, however I would have preferred that the thickness is move even (almost as thin at the back as in the front) and to have the display reach back the whole length.
Die display quality is good, however I was promised a matte display but it is a glossy. The display angles could be better though, but they are acceptable.
Points I am not impressed about:
- cpu should be faster (windows experience index marks it 1.9, but I've seen other pinetrail books have it reach 2.2 i think)
- it should have had an option for 2gb from the start, i will upgrade to 2 tomorrow probably (already ordered the ram)
- the led of the webcam when it is active cannot be turned off as far as I have seen and researched, and it is anoyingly bright. any of you have a suggestion of how to disable it while using the webcam? (I am not talking about taping over it, but maybe I will have to resort to that)
- I installed eve online (not to do real gaming, just basic stuff like updating skills). It runs, but I would have expected about 10 to 15 fps, but it is only about 3-5. Thats a big disappointment. I've seen reports of the mini 9 running it smoother. But maybe the problem is I currently only have 1gb of ram. I'll see how it goes with 2gb.
- By default the F1 to F12 buttons cause the functions depicted, I have to press fn to be able to press the real Fx button.
Those are the main points that come to mind.
I'll report back once I have more. Ask questions if you want.
One question to experienced dell mini users:
Will reinstalling windows help performance wise? That is, getting rid of the unwanted software. Will it help running windows smoother? I noticed by default already 500-600mb ram are used up - i think ridding of unwanted software can decrease that?
---------- Post added at 12:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 AM ----------
Btw, I tried the webcam and i'm reasonably satisfied with it. I feared it would be way more grainy, but it's really ok. But as mentioned: How to turn of the bright led once the webcam is active?