Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#1) Old
Default Mini 10 will only boot to diagnostics partition, no longer to XP - 06-26-2009, 02:01 PM

hey guys -- I recently bought a dell mini 10, and I wanted to see if there was a restore partition before loading XP for the first time. The first time I turned on the netbook, I pressed f12 for boot options, did not see any sort of restore option, so I chose diagnostics.

Still didn't find anything in there, so I restarted the computer - however, now, no matter what I do, it always boots to the diagnostics (even if I select boot from hard drive)

any suggestions?? (I've tried running some diags, thinking it'd fix it, but no luck)
  (#2) Old
Default 06-26-2009, 02:40 PM

Unfortunately, there is no restore partition on the Minis. You can request the System Restoration CDs from Dell support, though. They perform the same function as the restore partition on regular Dells.

By booting the diagnostics partition before the OS it reset the Master Boot Record pointer to always boot only the diagnostics. The easiest way to restore OS functionality is to call tech support and they can talk you through the process of resetting the MBR.

XPS 420|XPS 420|M1330: Windows 7 x64, Windows 8-8102
M1330: Quad boot: Windows 7 x64, XP Pro x64, Ubuntu, Media Direct
Mini 9: Black, 2GB, 1.3MP Cam, BT, Runcore 32, Windows 7
Mini 10: Black, Z530, Intel 5100 WiFi, OCZ Vertex SSD, XP Pro & Windows 7 (sold)
Mini10v: 2GB, OCZ Vertex, Intel 5100, Windows 7

boot to diagnostics

« New Intel GMA 500 Driver | Windows 7 will not book on mini 10 »