Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old

Default Warning about TV CARD No CABLE - 06-19-2009, 02:48 AM

I just received my Dell Mini 10 with HD screen, TV Tuner, Web Cam, 6 cell battery... No antenna adapter was included in the box. The only information about what you need to connect to an antenna is that you need an MCX connector. Doesn't say male female part number nothing. When you call support to find out what the part is, they have NO IDEA. I have been on the phone with the parts department for over an hour. I took the unit to Radio Shack and they told me it was a special part.

I think the part is... Male MCX S/T Plug to something... I would like to get a short MALE MCX to Female Coax but I can't get a part number out of dell and can't even get a definitive answer at to what the connector is.

So, if you are going to get a Mini 10 with the TV tuner, make sure you order the part when you order the computer. I have searched the site and there is no mention of the part and still don't have one. Without an external antenna, the TV tuner is useless.

Needless to say, my excitement about finally receiving my new Mini 10 has bee greatly dampened by this issue. The fact that Dell can't tell me what I need or can't sell me anything has really made me angry.
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Default 06-19-2009, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhanseng View Post
I just received my Dell Mini 10 with HD screen, TV Tuner, Web Cam, 6 cell battery... No antenna adapter was included in the box. The only information about what you need to connect to an antenna is that you need an MCX connector. Doesn't say male female part number nothing. When you call support to find out what the part is, they have NO IDEA. I have been on the phone with the parts department for over an hour. I took the unit to Radio Shack and they told me it was a special part.

I think the part is... Male MCX S/T Plug to something... I would like to get a short MALE MCX to Female Coax but I can't get a part number out of dell and can't even get a definitive answer at to what the connector is.

So, if you are going to get a Mini 10 with the TV tuner, make sure you order the part when you order the computer. I have searched the site and there is no mention of the part and still don't have one. Without an external antenna, the TV tuner is useless.

Needless to say, my excitement about finally receiving my new Mini 10 has bee greatly dampened by this issue. The fact that Dell can't tell me what I need or can't sell me anything has really made me angry.

Documentation

What you are saying is that Dell neglected to equip your Mini10 w/TV tuner connector board #2 that has 3 connectors for tuner Mini-PCIe as pictured above?

(#3) Old

Default 06-19-2009, 10:42 AM

No that is NOT what I am saying. The Tuner Card is there and installed. What I need is some way to plug in to an antenna. But there was no adapter cable to plug into the "MCX" connector. I have spent HOURS on the phone with Dell trying to purchase a cable or even just get the specification of what I need to purchase. But they just can't tell me. The price of MCX adapters run as high as $80 so it's not like I can just run out and buy a few to try out. I have been to Radio Shack and Frys and neither have anything. I have never been as frustrated with anything in my life. I can't tell you how totally USELESS Dell support has been. I don't remember the last time I cursed at someone like I did last night to Dell support.
  (#4) Old
Super Moderator

Default 06-19-2009, 12:36 PM

https://www.pimfg.com/product_detail...=4863%20F-Type

OK. I think you are talking about the above then that is a $4 adapter. Yes, I agree with you that Dell should be including this if you ordered the tuner!

(#5) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default 06-19-2009, 01:37 PM

Ahh bugger I just ordered one of these with a tv tuner. Was it not supposed to come with it?

I can't believe they would send it to you if it didnt work out of the box.

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#6) Old

Default 06-20-2009, 11:03 AM

Thanks. Appreciate the Information. I order something very similar and it looks based on your information I ordered the correct part. I was not able to find anything locally here in Sacramento, California. I have yet to get any specs from Dell.
  (#7) Old

Default 06-20-2009, 11:13 AM

Update:

Dell Support and Sales know almost nothing about the TV Tuner. After two days of frustration (including being given non-existent part number and a phone number to call that was to a PHONE SEX service (yes that happened), I had had more than enough. So I used my VP of a really large bank (we do 10s of millions of business with Dell each year), staus to get some fricking support. I finally started speaking with some management folks in both sales and service. The last sales support engineer I spoke with was proud to tell me "there is a built in Antenna so you don't need a cable, that is why one was not included in the box". Well, I was not able to get ANY channels when scanned and it doesn't appear there is a any internal antenna on the service manual for the TV Tuner Card. The antenna connection only seems to go to the external connector (see picture above). I see no connection to any internal antenna like there is with the It appears they do not carry any cables that work with this. (or at least they have no clue if they do)

I have a follow up call with them on Monday. They hope to have more information to me by then.

It is unfortunate that I have to use my companies huge purchase power to get even a glimmer of support from Dell on this issue.

I still believe that there was supposed to be a cable included that was just left out when they packed the box. Based on the Service Manual, it looks like you need some sort of extern antenna to get any signal. Considering this is for Digital HighDev TV, I am guessing an internal antenna would probably not work anyway.

I will update when I have more.
  (#8) Old

Default 06-20-2009, 03:47 PM

I have the same problem. The adapter shown via the link you provided looks like an adaptor to allow you to hook up to cable or something. Is that right? I was kind of thinking that the antenna hook up on the side would be to a small one, like from a wireless box or something.

When I bought my Mini 10, I specifically ordered it with the TV tuner hoping that, in the event of a hurricane, I would be able to at least grab local channels to watch on my computer. Isn't this what the tuner is supposed to do? And in addition to the tuner, do you have to have an antenna, too?

There is no documentation, and you're right, Dell customer service people don't have any information about it. Zip. Can you set me straight on what my expectations should be? Do I need to hook up my TV to cable? Do I need to hook it up to an external antenna?
  (#9) Old

Default 06-20-2009, 03:54 PM

I found this article on the internet: engaget news. It came long with a picture. Here is the link: Dell Mini 10 TV tuner option coming this summer, Mini 10v goes hands-on

While Dell originally mentioned a TV tuner option back when it launched the Mini 10 in January, it's still working on bringing the feature to market. The latest news is that the configuration will tack roughly $50 onto the price, includes an external antenna (which is only required in low-signal situations), and should be available "this summer." The couple of channels we saw in action seemed plenty good on the quality front, but nothing groundbreaking. Meanwhile, we also got a look at the new Mini 10v, which swaps HDMI for VGA, lacks the flush "glass" styling of the Mini 10 display, and bounces over to the Atom N270 processor. The version we were looking at included a 6-cell battery (a $30 add-on), which added a considerable amount of lift at the back -- it might be ergonomic, but it sure isn't pretty. Unfortunately the TV option won't be available for the 10v, so if you were holding out... maybe you should be spending more time with your family.
  (#10) Old
Super Moderator

Default 06-20-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniscca View Post
I found this article on the internet: engaget news. It came long with a picture. Here is the link: Dell Mini 10 TV tuner option coming this summer, Mini 10v goes hands-on

While Dell originally mentioned a TV tuner option back when it launched the Mini 10 in January, it's still working on bringing the feature to market. The latest news is that the configuration will tack roughly $50 onto the price, includes an external antenna (which is only required in low-signal situations), and should be available "this summer." The couple of channels we saw in action seemed plenty good on the quality front, but nothing groundbreaking. Meanwhile, we also got a look at the new Mini 10v, which swaps HDMI for VGA, lacks the flush "glass" styling of the Mini 10 display, and bounces over to the Atom N270 processor. The version we were looking at included a 6-cell battery (a $30 add-on), which added a considerable amount of lift at the back -- it might be ergonomic, but it sure isn't pretty. Unfortunately the TV option won't be available for the 10v, so if you were holding out... maybe you should be spending more time with your family.

Looks like the Dell designed special antenna didn't get shipped w/Mini 10 tuners!

« What Mini PCI-E USB devices could I put in ex TV tuner slot? | Streaming SD material via hdmi out to TV »