Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#11) Old
Default 05-15-2009, 09:47 PM

Dell's Mini Twitter mentioned WWAN:
We do currently offer mobile broadband as an option on the Mini 10 and the Mini 10v in the United States. Twitpic - Share photos on Twitter
- but the linked pic shows a Mini 10 page.

The service manual shows a SIM card slot, so maybe it's in the works.

mini 9 | osx 10.5.8 | 2gb ram | 16gb runcore ssd | wifi | bt | wwan | 0.3mp webcam | NBI 8.3(RC4) |
  (#12) Old
Default 07-19-2009, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by treecee View Post
According to the online manual for the 1011, it has a half size mini card slot and a full sized mini card slot. The full sized supports USB only. Forgive my ignorance, but what does that mean, exactly? I'm assuming that there is a broadband card that will fit in that space, but where would I find such a card?
The Mini-PCIe specification included both USB 2.0 and PCIe x1 contacts for transferring data, along with other contacts for things like WiFi status lights etc. 3G cards usually only use the USB connectivity, since it means that they can use the same chips in the cards as they do in USB 3G dongles, which increases simplicity. The number of PCIe x1 connections that a netbook can make is very limited due to the chipsets involved, so they only can have 2 slots which have the PCIe x1 connectivity, which are used for the WiFi and for SSDs on older netbooks (like the Mini 9 or the Eee PC 901)
  (#13) Old
Default 12-26-2009, 09:41 AM

I've found that the only way to get the WWAN slot and antennas (9 and 10v - not sure about 10) is to order from Dell Outlet and to make sure that the WWAN support is listed in the specs. 95% of the available stock on Dell Outlet don't have WWAN support, so you have to keep looking until one comes up.
  (#14) Old
Default 02-06-2011, 09:57 AM

I think this may help: Solderless USIM Sim Socket for Mini PCI-E WWAN Card Z - eBay (item 160502491055 end time Mar-05-11 04:28:18 PST)

I have soldered the pci-e slot to my Mini 1011 and confirmed that it really has only USB pins connected to the slot's solder pins. Assuming most HSDPA cards use only USB pins and SIM pins, this could eliminate the problem that most of the older Minis don't have a SIM-slot.
Unfortunately I don't have the funds right now to order the solderless slot nor a HSDPA card although you could easily find pretty good deals on the WWAN cards on ebay (like: UNLOCKED Option GTM378 3G/HSDPA GPRS WWAN Card 7.2mbps - eBay (item 140479458582 end time Feb-14-11 21:47:12 PST) ).

« Dell mini 10 Bios walktrhough | Screen res problem »