Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#11) Old
Default Windows 7 to Vista - 05-23-2009, 12:45 PM

Tried Windows 7, experienced the full black screen at startup, other glitches as well. Loaded Vista , so far seems to run better. Videos run fine on it. I haven't seen any glitches so far. I like the mini 10 over the mini 9 , I have both, bigger screen a plus, unlike most I like the touchpad, more ram would be helpful and support from Intel on the GMA graphics is long overdue.
  (#12) Old
Default 05-25-2009, 08:43 PM

I've been running Win 7 RC on the 10 for a few days now and it seems to run fine. I haven't seen any strange performance issues. I have the black screen issue as well, but it appears to be a "paint" problem, as in WM_PAINT, not a driver issue. The video display works perfectly for me in the applications I've run (including video), but at startup, it needs a kick to repaint the screen properly. Having used XP and Vista for quite a while, I don't really find anything that exciting about Windows 7. There are little improvements here and there, but for me they're mostly "who cares" kind of issues. I use my machine to develop and run software, not to play with gui gizmos. The new menus and desktop controls seem to be an improvement, but certainly not something I would spend money on. I generally run the apps that I need to run and then use them. I leave my machine running for days or weeks without restarting and just suspend or hibernate it at the end of the day.

Something I would like to see fixed in Windows is the network properties panel. I constantly switch between a network with a fixed IP address and others with dynamic addresses. It's annoying to have to retype my fixed address each time I need it because Windows doesn't save it. That's all I can think of at the moment.

« Picture -- Dell 6 Cell Battery | Dell Mini 10 HD Options... Confusing... »