Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#11) Old
Default Re: Help... - 04-14-2009, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by deeshr
I must be the only one who LIKES the trackpad but maybe that's my Mac experience making me "think different" :mrgreen:

As far as the universal disappointment about the 1 Gb of RAM, isn't this a Microsoft-imposed limitation on any netbook that comes with XP loaded? I imagine if a future mini 10 were to offer 2Gb it would be without XP installed.
I actually like the touchpad on the 10. I own a 9 and an HP 10" with the buttons on the left and right of the pad. Of the 3 I only like the touchpad on the Dell 10. I like how you can program gestures to do different things and I've had no problem with clicking with it.

You're right in that the 1gb limit of RAM a machine is shipped with is imposed by Microsoft. People's issue with the Dell 10 is that you can't increase it if you want to.... you're stuck there. You can remove the memory module from the Dell 9 or from the HP 10 I have and replace it with a 2gb module to get more memory. Personally, I'm dumping the HP 10 and don't use the 9 since I prefer the Dell 10 even with the 1gb hardware limit..... btw - the reason the Dell 10 is limited like this is because it doesn't use standard memory modules like the other netbooks I mentioned. It has it's ram permanently attached to a card that also holds the cpu. You can't swap that like you can the memory module in the others.

« Mini 10 vs Samsung NC10 | Upgrading 802.11 G with 802.11 N on Mini »