Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#21) Old
Default Re: whos definitely trading THEIR 9/12 for a 10? - 02-28-2009, 11:04 PM

I got burned in the past purchasing devices that had very limited upgrade ability (my Sony Vaio UX180 has only 512mb of RAM, soldered). Based on that experience, I have learned my lesson. The keyboard on the Mini 9 isn't great but I can use it. I can also upgrade just about everything on it. Basically the 9 is more flexible, a known quantity and fits my needs for now. Oh and having the ability to run OSX is a plus!

The 10's specs must improve in order to warrant a move and the 1GB RAM limit is a deal killer for me.

MINI 9 Blk:2GB:64GB:Windows 7 (Lab)
MINI 9 Blk:1GB:16GB:Windows 7
MINI 9 Blk:1GB:8GB:Fedora 10/Ubuntu (Lab)
VAIO UX180:512MB:40GB:Windows XP Tablet (Lab)
VAIO FZ190:4GB:200GB:Windows Vista (Main)
VAIO FE790:2GB:160GB:Windows XP SP3
  (#22) Old
Default Re: whos definitely trading THEIR 9/12 for a 10? - 03-01-2009, 05:32 AM

Does the dell mini 10 have bluetooth

Dell Mini 9
32GB Runcore SSD, 2GB RAM
OS X 10.5.6

(#23) Old
Default Re: whos definitely trading THEIR 9/12 for a 10? - 03-01-2009, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Networx2002
Does the dell mini 10 have bluetooth
Yes it does. In the Tech Specs section, under Wireless features, it says...

Bluetooth® Internal (2.1+EDR) mini-card
  (#24) Old
Default Re: whos definitely trading there 9/12 for a 10? - 03-02-2009, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by NoBugsOnMe
Originally Posted by grungysquash
I just don't understand Dells thought pattern on this mini 10 - all people want is this.

1024 x 764 min res
No way! 1280 x 800 is the absolute minimum IT workers/power users on-the-go need. Why is that so hard to put into a netbook?
Yes your right - was trying to keep the cost in a $600 dollar ballpark - I have a dell M6400 with 1900 x 1200 display and totally love this - struggle at 1440 x 900 for work (use my mini 9 on external display) and struggle at this lower res - love to work with 2 spreadsheets and our MRP system all up in different spots so much faster for moving data. For me if the netbook can run through an external monitor & keyboard then this is a more practical solution for work. I'm testing the mini 9 for practicality and find that for day to day life - email, spreadsheets, word & PDF's that you can't work effectively on the actual unit but when hooked into the display and keyboard - no problem.

The benefit I find is if I need to grab an o/night flight the M6400 while a super power unit weights close to 5Kg including the power pack - and lets face it when I'm traveling for work I don't get to do intensive graphics stuff - it's email on the run opening spreadsheets to check data and that is about it. My phone (HTC TyTn ii) pretty much covers 80% of emails but is not practical if attachments get sent - this is where the mini's excel, light, reasonable battery life so that's why my M6400 is now my toy - used only for games or storing stuff and the mini 9 gets used every day as my main unit. Would love to have the mini 10 replace this but with the current proposed spec's it's just not right, people want a quality fit & finish with moderate spec's at around $700 AU - max (= $400 US) it's this price point they must hit - if the mini 10's proposed spec's are correct then it's not for me.
  (#25) Old
Default Re: whos definitely trading THEIR 9/12 for a 10? - 03-23-2009, 07:33 PM

I have a mini 9 right now and would love to pick up a mini 10 in the future. However, my friend just got one of the first mini tens they shipped out and she came over so I could check it junk. As of right now, the mini 10 in person is more of an over priced toy than a well performing netbook. my mini 9 blew her mini 10 away in speed, not to mention that my ram is upgradeable . If and when dell finally makes the 10 worth buying for users like me who like to have access to the innards of their system with the removal of a few screws, it will be worth looking into. That and when they make the 1.6ghz either cheaper or standard. It would cost me about 500 dollars to get a mini 10 equal to my mini 9, and even then it would have inferior ram and upgrade ability. No thanks dell, let me know when the real mini 10 rolls out.
  (#26) Old
Default Re: whos definitely trading THEIR 9/12 for a 10? - 03-25-2009, 11:35 PM

I picked up the mini9 from the outlet about two weeks ago. It's all packed up and has the RMA sticker from dell attached. That keyboard was absolutely unusable for me. The keys weren't just small, they were in the wrong place. Sorry, but I learned to type with an occasional apostrophe and the fact that it was basically missing (as far as my fingers were concerned) was a deal breaker - not to mention the right shift key was essentially replaced by the up arrow. That wasn't frustrating at all :-(.
I installed Windows7 on my mini9 and the performance was fine with the 1GB ram it came with so when I saw the mini10 - with all the keys in the right place, it was really a no-brainer to make the change. I got a mini10 from the outlet for 319 - I'll be installing Windows7 on that and am looking forward to having my bedstand laptop usable again. I look forward to the rumored 6cell battery.
Just my two bits . . . consider yourself double billed for it! :-)
  (#27) Old
Default Traded up from 9 to 10 - 05-24-2009, 03:41 PM

I just sold my Mini 9 and got the Mini 10 HD and, after only a week, I am very glad I did. I just could not get used to the cramped keyboard on the 9. I had the 9 for a month and not having everything where it should be was annoying since I do use this thing to type reports and emails when I'm on the road. The full keyboard does not add that much size to the unit, and the trade-off is well worth it as the 10 remains a very compact machine. As for screen size, anyone who thinks the extra inch or so of screen size doesn't make a difference is not being honest - size matters! This is especially so when watching movies and videos (HD screen is awesome). That brings me to the 1GB RAM issue. I have not found this to be a problem at all (my 9 was upgraded to 2GB RAM and 64GB Runcore SSD) while running XP Home, Safari 4 Beta and iTunes, etc., and I don't see any difference in performance. Plus the unit does not get as hot as the 9. I don't need to replace everything on the machine I bought like some of you (which makes me wonder why you bought it in the first place), and I think endless tinkering leads to endless tinkering such that some folks will never be happy unless they are able to replace every last screw. Plus, the touchpad is great. The integrated buttons on the lower left and right side have a nice feel , and the two-finger scrolling works much better than the one-finger/right side touchpad scroll on the 9 (and this is coming from a person who also has a Macbook too). Lastly, I honestly have to say that the 10 feels a bit more substantial. Maybe this is due to the 6-cell battery giving it a bit of added weight, or perhaps its the keys being mostly the proper size. I just wish SGP/Cretouch made skins for this size machine!! That's my 2 cents having owned both.
  (#28) Old
Default 05-25-2009, 03:57 AM

Sold the mini 12 for the 10
  (#29) Old
Default HDMI not good on HD - 05-25-2009, 05:36 AM

I kind of like the 1010 but just checked the performance playing back 720P and 1080P HD video from Microsoft. It failed to show smooth video and I estimate showed only one frame every 50. It was beyond jerky and well into slide show instead of video. I've heard the ASUS 4000HE and Acer 10 inch and even MSI 10 can show 720P well (although they do it with analog VGA instead of HDMI). Speaking of heard, I can't get any sound from the Dell's HDMI which is a PITA. I think the VGA for HD would be preferable and give a certain smoothing to diagonal lines which show up with the Dell as jagged lines. IMO the Dell doesn't have enough power to drive the HDMI for video, but it does show your fixed image desktop beautifully.

In my case I can live with a 10 inch screen for a couple hours but then usually want to hook up to a larger monitor. I've got plenty of CRTs and flatscreens with VGA inputs, but only my Phillips 42 inch HDTV with HDMI. I would have been much happier with VGA or both.

That said, I do like the 1010. It seems fast enough on everthing but HD video. The 10 inch screen seems way bigger than the 9 inch. Also it's quiet, I have yet to hear the fan.
  (#30) Old
Default 05-25-2009, 09:24 PM

Hmm, I think this thread will have different responses now, as opposed to when it was started a couple months ago.

Now, with the Mini 10v -- which seems an awful lot like a bigger Mini 9, and less like the original Mini 10 -- I think many people will make the move. Especially if people successfully install 2 gigs RAM and can Hackintosh it.

Those issues aside, I just sold my Mini 9, and have already ordered a Mini 10v. The reason is simple. I could not get used to the small and re-arranged keyboard of the Mini 9.

Matt Garvin
Red Mini 10v, WinXP, BT 2.1, 120GB HD

« Display Problems | Mini 10 Ubuntu Iso/Img available? »