Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#1) Old
Default Inspiron Mini 10 only works when warmed up... - 11-04-2013, 10:33 PM

Hi, I'm new on here and I'm hoping someone can help me. My Mini 10 is about 4 years old and it isn't working right. It just doesn't come on unless I spend a couple of hours turning the power on and then off again until it seems warmed up. It will advance through the boot process a little more each time and eventually it will work fine. But if I let it cool for about 10 minutes or longer and then try to turn it on it just gives me a black screen or displays the xp startup but freezes. I really want to save this machine so I don't have to buy one with Windows 8!
  (#2) Old
Default 11-05-2013, 11:57 AM

XP gets really slow with age. I use to start my wife's computer in the morning, go make coffee & it usually had completed the boot process by then. A clean install of XP would help the boot speed for a year or so.

Can you boot to safe mode & see if you have any other issues?

Have you considered using Ubuntu on a USB flash stick to boot you computer to look for hardware issues?

| Dell Mini 10v | Linux Lite |
  (#3) Old
Default 11-05-2013, 09:27 PM

My guess would be that the hard disk is failing.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#4) Old
Default 11-26-2013, 02:20 AM

I would probably do whatever is necessary to get it going and then go inside and start spraying some freeze spray on different components until it stops working...that component will be the defective one. It could be something as simple as a bad solder joint.

Last edited by cct1; 11-26-2013 at 02:36 AM.

« longhorn on the mini 10 | 2GB upgrade on Ebay available now »