Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#1) Old
Angry PXE-E61 Media test failure - 10-10-2013, 09:02 PM

I was given a Dell Mini 10 by a friend because it kept crashing. Basically when it would turn on it would crash the moment you tried to do anything. Even pressing the window key would cause it to crash. Unable to do anything about I thought just format the hard drive and do a reinstalation.

I formatted the hard drive using my main computer, which I have done many times to make OS HDDs, and put the hard drive back into the dell mini 10. But now I am getting a message I have never seen before.

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM

I have looked up online and come across many solutions to it from replacing the hard drive to opening up the laptop and replacing a wire strip. Obviously I cannot contact dellr egarding the problem as I have no warranty and I know its not the hard drive cause i have had it connected up to my main computer and had no issues.

So can anyone give my some help in how to fix it?
  (#2) Old
Default 10-12-2013, 12:53 AM

The PXE error simply means that it wasn't able to find a disk to boot from so it was trying to boot from the Ethernet connection. If you formatted the hard drive but did not reinstall an OS, you'd get exactly this error.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10

« Fixing a friends Mini 10, Any up to date OSX guides? | BIOS Chip on Dell Mini 10 ? »