Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#1) Old
Default Dell Mini 1010 Suspect malware - 10-03-2013, 03:36 PM

I purchased my Dell Mini 1010 from Best Buy when it first came out, and all ran fine for a couple years. I decided to install Win 7 on it, and all went fine for a while. All of a sudden Win 7 started crashing, and causing all kinds of problems. So, I decided to take the machine back to the factory installed Win XP Home software, using the provided recovery CD, since then, it has been total hell trying to get this thing to work and be stable. What peaks my interest, is when I get XP loaded, and working, I get all kinds of crashes and BSOD's. But when I get a BSOD, I noticed that many words are misspelled in the messages, and the errors thrown are strange ones I have never seen before. Anyone else ever see this before? I'm suspecting some type of boot sector virus possibly? I am currently running DBAN on the disk to completely wipe it, and then I'm trying a new install again. I have the bios upgraded to A11. I have a heck of a time loading some of the drivers from the supplied driver disk also, and have gone to the Dell support site to download a couple, and also, the XP restore CD seems to stop responding during the install - had to introduce another XP home CD to provide a few essential Windows XP files, then I can put the Dell provided disk back in, and it continues till it's finished restoring without any more errors. Anytime I tried to run Malwarebytes or any other virus scanning software, the notebook begins to misbehave dramatically. Have never seen these symptoms before. Anyone else?

Last edited by pilot1; 10-03-2013 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Additional info

« huawei e173 not detected as modem-Xubuntu | Fixing a friends Mini 10, Any up to date OSX guides? »