Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#1) Old
Default I'm having no luck upgrading to an SSD :( - 02-27-2013, 02:11 AM

I've been running a 7200 RPM and it runs fine, specially after upgrading to 2GB. I wanted to make it a little faster and I figured an SSD would help (Many Netbook later shipped with SSDs).

I bought a Samsung 840 Pro 120 at first, I was able to install Windows 7 no problem, except that it had a random freezing here and there (Already running A11 Bios) and I tried all the tweaks to no avail.

So I decided to try Win8, same problem, random freezing. I found a post suggesting to disable LMP in windows and so I did, it seemed to improve the freezing but it was still happening. Never had that issue with the regular spindle drive.

Finally I thought maybe I got a bad SSD, so I went and swapped it for a Corsair Force GT 240. I can't even get Windows installed, or Ubuntu or any OS. It gets to 95% of the install and the pops this message

Windows cannot access the installation sources. Verify that the installation sources are accessible, and restart the installation.
I have tried every suggestion in the world and it just fails to install on this drive. I find it hard to believe I have had to bad SSD drives now. Anyone successfully install an SSD on the 1010? Corsair says they are backwards compatible all the way back to SATA I and II, native on III.

What the heck am I doing wrong?

I've tried various USB devices, I've tried various installs and versions from Win 7, 8 and Ubuntu 11.1.

Dell Mini 10 Black | 2GB RAM | 250GB 7200 RPM (SSD soon) | Windows 7 | Blutooth | HD Screen |
  (#2) Old
Default 02-28-2013, 08:23 PM

Just wanted to update this thread. After trying 3 different SSD's and searching more sites, including this forum, I have given up on trying to get it to work with an SSD.

Part of the problem is that our MB has some limitations. No AHCI support, and it uses a PATA card instead of SATA card which is limited to 40MB max, thus negating the impact of an SSD either way.

One solution I found was to use Norton Ghost or similar and clone the SSD using an external caddy, then booting it up in the Mini and running repair since the Hardware will be different.

It seems to work but that's just too much work, and even if you get the SSD working the difference would be so minimal anyways. Maybe better battery life and slightly faster. So bummed. I know these things are old now but I'm still mad I paid $600 + $80 to upgrade to the 1.66/2GB daughter card and never truly got any real use out of it . Oh

Dell Mini 10 Black | 2GB RAM | 250GB 7200 RPM (SSD soon) | Windows 7 | Blutooth | HD Screen |
  (#3) Old
Default 07-06-2013, 04:49 PM

I know it's been a long time, but I thought I would share my experience. I tried putting an Intel SSD into my 1010. I cloned it from the original using their software and it worked fine. The big problem was that the Intel used significantly more power...battery life went down by 1/3. One of the things I loved about my 1010 was the battery life, so I switched back to the spinner and batt life returned to normal. So don't feel bad as I don't think you are missing out on anything.
  (#4) Old
Default 07-07-2013, 03:14 PM

That's surprising - most of the SSDs I know take far less power than spinning disks.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10

« Mini 10 webcam issues | HD Screen for 1010 »