Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#1) Old
Default For 1010 - EagleTec Nano flash usb for Readyboost - 10-09-2012, 10:24 AM

Instead of taking apart my 1010 to insert the 2gb daughterboard (I may just get a 2gb 1018 on ebay instead), I picked up an 8gb usb flash drive from EagleTec.

EagleTec USB Nano Flash Drive
All about USB | USB 3.0, USB Gaming, USB Lifestyle | Brando Workshop : EagleTec USB Nano Flash Drive

I have tried 6 or 7 different regular and high speed flash drives for Readyboost on my Win7 x32 1010, The best was the Sandisk 4gb Cruzer micro. Only problem is you have to take it out and put it back on each time you take the netbook out.

The EagleTec Nano drive is the only nano-sized drive I could find that is Readyboost compatible. I got it to work after formatting it to ExFat, and then dedicating the drive to Readyboost. Along with a logitech nano wireless mouse dongle, it never leaves the usb port.

The 8gb size was all that was available, according to several sources more than 4gb is going to have a negligible impact on readyboost. While I have not seen very much of an impact of readyboost on other desktops/notebooks, on systems with 2gb or less RAM, it has a significant impact. More on opening/closing programs and boot than video or processing operations.

The nano drive isnt cheap, 8gb was $33 and only shipping option was airmail from UK, but if you want a boost for your 1010 it is a valid option.

« My Dell Mini Suddenly OFF on Dell Start Screen Bar | OSX on the Dell Mini 10 »