Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#1) Old
Default 1010 wont boot any OS from working Hard Drive But boot from disc works fine - 06-05-2012, 08:21 PM

Hi fellow 1010 owners.

A family gave me a broken 1010 in return for fixing four of their computers.

They said it "needed a new hard drive"

I tried reformatting XP the one that was already in there and it appeared to have worked except it would not get past the initial windows splash. (also tried installing ubuntu 12.04 - same problem except it would fail earlier just after the bios splash)

So I went to frys and bought a new hard drive for it. Put it in - installed ubuntu (chose options erase all old partitions) - same problem.

If I choose "try ubuntu" everything works fine when it boots from the CD. So I dont think its the Mobo. And the hard drive should be working because I just bought it to replace the "broken one" however I am not sure that the original one is even broken because i have no other mini laptop machine to test it on.

It would be greatly appreciated if someone could help me out so I can know whether or not to return the new hard drive I bought

To recap after installing ubuntu 12.04 to a NEW hard drive the screen goes (deep unbuntu purple/blank) after passing the initial bios screen.
  (#2) Old
Default 07-15-2012, 10:27 PM

I'm in a very similar situation, I have wiped my hard drive with dban which in hindight was probably a bit excessive. I've used Ubuntu netbook remix off USB and created a partition where I want windows to install on. I've attempted to install XP SP3 but it hangs after reaching "windows setup is starting". When that failed I gave Windows 8 install a go and that is giving me a "installation media driver is missing" error.

My instincts are telling me that this is some sort of driver issue, but I'm confused because the USB drives from which I'm trying to install are being picked up to let me boot into installation in the 1st place.

Any help would be appreciated as this has been driving me nuts for about a week now!

I'm on a 1010 160gb Samsung Hardrive A04 bios (rolled back to this from A07 in my troubleshooting)
  (#3) Old
Default 07-16-2012, 02:16 AM

I would try updating to the A11 bios, thats the version I'm running! HTH

« a trick to raise the resolution above 1024-600 | Bios flash failure on mini 1010 help!! »