Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#1) Old
Default Help - 01-23-2011, 11:32 AM

i am a non-techie, so bear with me.

how do i know if my dell mini 1010-5997 has a sim card slot in it?

how do i reinstall operating system in it as it doesnt have cd-rom?

i had this mini 1010 since sept 2009. used it for a while until it stopped working. i had it "repaired" to someone i know, when it came back it didnt have the usual programs it came with it.

would reinstalling OS and other files supplied by dell bring it back to it original ?

(#2) Old
Default 01-23-2011, 02:07 PM

What you really want to know is if the 1010 has a cellular wireless (3G) card in it. The SIM holder is a small part of that. You could look up the Service Tag on Dell's site to see if it originally came with the 3G card.

I suspect that "someone" simply reinstalled the OS using what they had handy. Yes, reinstalling from the Dell CD would be best. You would have to borrow a USB CD reader, or it might be possible to create a bootable USB flash drive with the contents of the CD.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old
Default 01-23-2011, 09:43 PM

The 1010 came with two CD's one with the OS on it and another with all the drivers and programs that made it work like it was supposed to. If you have these Cd's I would find a friend that has a USB CD/DVD drive and rework the unit back to the way it was.
About a year after I had mine I lost everything while trying to make a duel boot a triple boot. I had no problem returning it to the way I bought it by using the above mentioned Cd's.
One thing you have to watch if you to use the Cd's is you will have to delete every thing on the drive to get it to take the OS off the CD. If there is anything on it the OS/CD will not reboot and work. Don't know why; but its a fact. Good luck; Fdalbor

Dell Mini 1010 XP--10.04/Mandriva One/Joli 1.2
Compaq R4000 laptop AMD 64
Compaq SR2034NX AMD 64

« Dell Mini 1010 Customer Service Rant | wireless doesn't connection »