Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#1) Old
Smile pixel qi e-ink screen on 1010 - 08-02-2010, 06:49 PM

I have a dell mini 1010 and was wondering if anyone here has upgraded their screen to the pixel qi e-ink diy screen? (hybrid e-ink/lcd):
Pixel Qi display

I just got a nook and the e-ink screen is so goddamned awesome. If I had it on my netbook I would be in *heaven*.

I'm current comparing specs and searching for other users experiences.
  (#2) Old
Default 08-03-2010, 01:23 AM

Eh? You'd find a "gray and white" 16-shade-of-gray, slow refresh screen awesome? Or did you think that the small color screen was E-Ink? (It's not.)

The PixelQi technology is not like E-Ink other than it has a transflective mode. It's a variation of standard LCD.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old
Default Successful Pixel QI install on 1010 - 09-15-2010, 12:58 PM

yesterday I successfully installed the pixel qi 10.1" LCD from Makers Shed in a Mini 10.

The pixel qi display fits perfectly and connectors/mounting screw holes etc. are identical to the original screen display.

Found no software way to turn backlight off totally in neither Linux nor Windows7 so I used my favorite programming language (solder) and installed a tiny switch on the LCD_EN signal. Don't short the signal to ground, make sure to also disconnect the signal source (from the motherboard) because otherwise you might damage the output driver in the long term. It also consumes some power (>50mA) when shorted to ground.

It is pretty cool but much of the sunlight readability is destroyed by the extremely reflective outer display cover so right now I run it without the display front mounted.

With backlight totally off the screen isn't that great but with backlight on lowest readability is something extra.

Installation requires total disassembly of the whole unit, not just 4 screws in the lid like on some other brands. Tools needed: a PH1 star screwdriver and a guitar plectrum (to make the plastic hooks "unhook").

If anyone is interested in more details, let me know.
  (#4) Old
Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default 09-15-2010, 03:04 PM

Great stuff, could you supply some photos? A link to the screen you purchased?

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#5) Old
Default 02-16-2012, 04:27 PM

To Jonas

I'm trying to figure out how to install a switch but can't figure out a different way but to short to ground. In your post, you mention not to short the signal and to remove from motherboard. If possible to give me some more details I will be very happy.
  (#6) Old
Default 02-24-2012, 12:47 AM

Here you go, Dell mini 10v running Pixel Qi:

Just installed it, totally love it.

Sorry for weird link, site won't let me post it normally.

Actually, I'd love to see some photos of your switch. I'm not sure I feel that adventurous yet, but a switch would be nice.

Last edited by pickles44; 02-24-2012 at 12:53 AM.

« Dell Inspiron Mini 10 UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME | Anyone using HDMI port with IEGD or EMGD? »