Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#1) Old
Default Has anyone else's right plastic hinge cover melted off? - 07-14-2010, 05:27 PM

I have a mini 1010 and my laptop hinge melted a month or so ago. When I say melted, I mean, it was soft enough to snap off and when it came out, there were brown burn marks on it. Now, my laptop had a tumble this morning, and the wires had already been poking out precariously... that tumble effectively disconnected the wire things and while my hard drive is working fine, my screen is completely useless.
I've had this laptop for a little over a year, so the dell warranty has run out, but I can't afford another laptop right now. I paid like $300 for this thing at staples and it has all my work and programs on it. (I wasn't expecting this to happen.)
If anyone can help me asap about getting fixed, I'd be eternally grateful!
  (#2) Old
Default 07-14-2010, 05:37 PM

It sounds as if your Mini took a tumble sometime previously, if "wires were poking out".

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old
Default 07-14-2010, 05:40 PM

it did, unfortunately. I just really need to have it fixed asap but I'm not an expert on hardware.
  (#4) Old
Expert Member
Default 07-14-2010, 06:02 PM

Sounds like it might have been the LCD panel connector cable at fault, which you might be able to get separately. Although perhaps more damage was done that you think, try to connect it to a external monitor.

Also, in the future, if wires are sticking out where they shouldn't be, I recommend checking those before trying to use it. Using it after may have resulted in frying the graphics as well as the LCD.

« Additional Mini PCI-E | Broken Keyboard Ribbon Connector »