Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.
| ||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
Join Date: Jun 2010
Default Moblin to Ubuntu netbook edition - 06-26-2010, 09:41 PM
I found the Dell Moblin quite unpleasant, poor and heavy. So with I decided to move to the netbook edition of Ubuntu but with the standard gnome desktop. So this is a kind of guide (simple guide) to move to a faster, more stable and lighter linux.
- Download the iso and create the USB drive as indicated in Download | Ubuntu
Note: if you are creating the USB drive from Ubuntu that is System>Administration>Start up disk creator, mark in the "discarded on shutdown, unless ..." option (or if you test the Ubuntu first, which I recommend, in the second boot up i will not offer you to install right away)
- Boot from the USB drive plugging it and pressing the F12 right after you turn on the mini 10
- Choose the TRY option check if it is working.
- If you like it backup everything, everything!!!
- During install it will ask you for some questions, choose the right keyboard for your min, user, pasword, and very important where the Ubuntu is going to install as you have other OS that you are demolishing use erase entire disk option.
- Wait a moment until the ubuntu installs.
- Remove the USB drive, reboot and log in.
- Now everything is working (at least that was my case).
- If you like the user interface keep it, if you dont:
- Go System>Login Screen unlock with your password and in the select option choose GNOME instead of the default Ubuntu netbook edition.
- Go System>Start up application and uncheck Maximus Window management
- Reboot and it is done
The memory usage was 210 MB for netbook interfase and after disabling it and also other things I was not using 150 MB, so I have enough space to work. I check and all the extra buttons are working with the only exception the windows symbol.
Some extras you should install, in Ubuntu software center GIMP(like a photoshop), Ubuntu restricted extras(codecs and other), Banshee(music) that I it like more than Rithmbox, Skype(comm), VLC(video and dvd), CUPS PDF (printing to PDF), perhaps someone wants to add some more to the thread...
No warranty, bye, and sorry for my Spanglish!
|ubuntu netbook gnome|
Copyright © 2008-2016 MyDellMini.com.