Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#1) Old
Default Mini 10v Apple LCD Case Lid Mod - 04-11-2010, 11:42 PM

I know this has been covered in a variety of ways, but i have modded my Mini 10v Case lid in a slightly different way.

I bought a replacement lid for my snow leopard hackintoshed mini, scanned the lid to a MacBook Pro and vectorized the apple since the vectors that I could find online were oddly shaped. So I am pedantic and wanted it the right shape.

2 problems. One is that the silly Dell logo is 35mm - too big for the 100% scale, so i had to go into Illustrator and make a new pattern with a 35mm circle in the middle. hit PRINT.

I cut out the 35mm circle and taped it to the lid so that i could position the printout over it properly and easily though the paper then taped the apple logo into place over it with clear wide packing tape. oldeskool.

i cut the apple out with an x-acto knife. this also scored the lid for the inevitable dremel work that would come a few minutes later. (notice that i also drilled holes in strategic places for cutting the foam padding on the other side - wait for it)

from the back side.

Then a rough cut out with a small cylindrical dremel blade - see rough edges!

and from the back side:

and some sanding with an emery board and 400 grit sandpaper... just to smooth the edges a bit.

and a couple random arty-farty shots:

Hey, i live in Amsterdam, what can i say?

ok, so nobody cares except me?
cover the front with packing tape for a smooth finish. i could have done this the other way but i wanted the edge to no be flush with the cut... by that i mean i wanted the light to refract from further within the lid, like the design of the macbook...if you have ever taken one apart you know what i has a lip on the inside that is nearly a cm wide on the inside:

Flip the lid over on a bright place, free of dust and draft.

Waiting for the epoxy resin to achieve the right consistency for pouring. too thin, so go make a sandwich or something. waiting. waiting.

and... pour. notice some swirling. i mixed it gently to avoid bubbles. still, worked out ok...

But it's at the level i wanted:

After drying for 30 minutes, and 1 sandwich later, I cut out the logo on the front side and now it's ready for wet sanding with 400 grit.

a close-up.

and on the inside:

(consider your warranty voided at this point)

How it looks at this point - before mounting.

And from the back side.

Time for the swap. 15 minutes of removing screws and putting them back.

Mounted - together - working.

Glowing in the dark. looks pretty good.

And the logo that was cut out with the dremel, leaning against the magic mouse. LOL.

AND - the obligatory MacBook Nano custom sticker!

NOTE: if you are going to try this, please note that on the back side of the screen is a circuit board that may interfere with your back lighting unless you cut your logo as high as possible. i would make the apple as small as possible and as high as possible. every millimeter counts here. also, i cut the black plastic on the back side of the screen away, but didn't photograph that bit of warranty voiding.

Hope this inspires someone to do something cooler that what i've done.

 mini 10v | osx 10.6.3 | nbi 0.8.5 RC1 | n270 | bios 04 | 1tb Scorpio Black | 2 gigs ram | BT | audio | wireless a/b/g/n | Magic Mouse | Apple Wireless Keyboard

Last edited by Chookiebaby; 05-08-2012 at 10:35 PM.
  (#2) Old
Default 04-12-2010, 01:35 AM

Very kewl great job and artsy fartsy to boot.........

Dell Mini 10v | OSX 10.6.7 l Ubuntu 11.10

"Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword." - Matthew 10:34
  (#3) Old
Default 04-12-2010, 01:51 AM

Wow, thats awesome, and to think I just put a sticker on mine... I feel lazy.

Obsidian black Mini 10v 2gb RAM 160gb HDD running Snow Leopard 10.6.2
  (#4) Old
Default 04-12-2010, 02:27 AM

So does an opaque hole in your lid cause any problems with the picture on screen? I mean like if there is a bright light behind the lind does it shine into the apple and cause a brghter spot visible on your screen or such?

Bery nice job BTW!
  (#5) Old
Default 04-12-2010, 07:32 AM

@devedander: good question
when turned OFF, in direct sunlight, there IS a ghostly (very slight) reversed apple on the screen!
when turned ON, it's not visible, even in direct sunlight, and with a solid black background or flying toaster screensaver.

the back of the screen is covered with that white LED plastic and the bottom 1/3 with black plastic and some circuitry.

@j2daake : my first attempt was to put the sticker on that came with the Snow Leopard disk, but the part seen in the last picture (the dell logo bit) was clearly visable, and so rather than put another or thicker sticker on, i got the dremel out.

 mini 10v | osx 10.6.3 | nbi 0.8.5 RC1 | n270 | bios 04 | 1tb Scorpio Black | 2 gigs ram | BT | audio | wireless a/b/g/n | Magic Mouse | Apple Wireless Keyboard
  (#6) Old
Default 04-12-2010, 05:05 PM

Damn, nice job dude.

Mini 10v | OS X 10.6.2 | 160GB HD | 1GB RAM

PS3 tag - ChicagoGOBLUE
  (#7) Old
Default 04-13-2010, 11:45 PM

Wow... very cool

Dell Mini 10v | 2GB RAM | 120 GB HDD | no BT
Triple boot: Windows 7 | OS-X 10.5.7 | Kubuntu 9.04
  (#8) Old
Default 04-15-2010, 07:15 PM

dope. i think i want to try....
  (#9) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Default 04-15-2010, 08:22 PM

hope you never have to send it back for warranty repair

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#10) Old
Expert Member
Default 04-15-2010, 10:29 PM

Very nice, I'd like to get those files from you and do that to mine.
I did the Dell logo on my 1010 as somewhat seen in the link in my sig.

10v, case, lcd, mini, mod

« Wireless driver won't work | Mini 1010 hi-res, lid sensor »