Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#1) Old
Default remote booting failures - 04-05-2010, 01:39 AM

I tried for weeks to get a mini 10 v to mount snow leopard, and eventually gave up. I couldn't get the mini to boot at all, with one thing and another. So I sent that one off with xp, and started to work on putting ubuntu on my mini 10. somehow I made the partition for ubuntu way too small, so I shrank windows, but now can't boot from either the external cd drive or the usb port. Tried every conceivable combination of bios changes, f12, f2 I tried creating a USB drive using unetbootin and got "initial menu has no labels," then "could not find kernel image: vesamenu.c32." I tried it twice (erased and reloaded) and got the same error both times. Am I missing something obvious? I keep seeing something about PXE: could that have something to do with it? And am I right in assuming you can't just boot from a live CD on an external drive? And if not, why not?
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Default 04-05-2010, 02:08 AM

A Windows Live CD is not the same as a Windows Setup/Boot/Install CD

PS as far as Snow Leopard is concerned you must have been doing something wrong then too...either skipping something or your install media again was incorrect, many, many have gotten it to work with the instructions provided on the forum using the correct media....something must have been incorrect..

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case

« OSX question | Mini 1010 on the way; have a few questions »