Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#1) Old
Question overheating and clicking :( - 03-08-2010, 11:52 AM

Hi all, I just want to know if there is anything I can do to stop this laptop getting so hot when I use it. I am a student and therefore have it on for long periods of time whilst writing endless essays. It has also recently started clicking every now and again and I'm getting worried and saving my work every few seconds just in case it dies. I have only been using it since October, is this normal?
  (#2) Old
Default 03-08-2010, 01:06 PM

In order to manage heat:

Using the Mini on a hard, level surface (like a table or lap desk) should help.

You could also point a small desk fan at the Mini.

You can try to reduce the amount of running software (more software running = more processor and hard drive use = more heat). But unless your system is really gummed up, I don't think this'll make a difference.

As for the clicking, I think the only moving part in the Mini 10 is the hard drive. So, it's probably responsible for the noise. It's possible the clicking is preceding failure, but it's also normal for hard drives to click sometimes.

Is the clicking associated with drive access? Is it associated with idle periods? Adjusting the drive's APM or AAM setting can affect the amount of noise it makes.

As for saving your files frequently, it is always a good idea to backup important files to multiple locations/drives. A $10 flash drive should have enough space to hold backup copies of a lifetime of essays.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old
Default 03-08-2010, 01:54 PM

you can use coretemp or any program to monitoring the temperature, then you'll be sure how "hot" is your mini 10.
  (#4) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 03-08-2010, 04:31 PM

Miniminx, you could buy a Netbook Chillpad like this one:

Targus - Netbook Chill Mat - Black - AWE39US1

I have one and it works great, I dont even plug it in most of the time, just leave the netbook on top of it and it helps but even when you do plug it in the battery effect is hardly even fits right in my case too....I even have a larger one for my 17inch HP laptop..

PS. Welcome to the forum...

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#5) Old
Default 03-19-2010, 01:55 PM

Clicking Noise is the End of life from the hard disk. The heads are try to read data's on the turning disk and do not find them so they make a reset from the head. This Noise is dangerous

********** So safe all data's and replace the hard drive.************

Best Regards

« what Ubuntu can I put on a mini 10? | Audio Volume Levels »