Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#1) Old

Default How To Play Videos On Your Mini 10 (not v) - The Definitive Guide (Work In Progress) - 03-02-2010, 06:23 PM

Please make this sticky when it's finished. It's not a simple matter, so I need help. Feel free to contribute.

Playing videos on Mini 10 (not v)

This netbook is based on a strange chipset. It's the US15W, that integrate the GMA500 as Video Card. GMA500 is able to decode in Hardware H264 videos up to 1080p,without using Atom Cpu. At the same time it has HDMI output. But... It's not always simple to use these features. Even playing normal videos can led to the strangest problems. There's a story behind this, but it doesn't matter here. So here's this guide. For Win7 e for Xp. Sorry for Vista fan, but this o.s. is like evil for Atom. Both Win7 and WinXp sections will be divided in Simple and Advanced tutorials. It's a matter of video quality and difficulties in obtain it.

So here's the guide.

Windows 7

First thing to know: with Win7 playing videos is far more simple than using WinXp. Very far.

The simple way
Install win7. Install latest video drivers from the Video Driver Thread. Use ONLY Windows Media Player 12 to play every video file. DON'T install any codec, codec pack, media player.
It will be fine. (Maybe... If you have Win7 Starter and this doesn't work please tell me).

Problems: WMP12 doesn't support MKV files. DivX Inc. produce a MKV plugin for it...
http://www.divx.com/downloads/divx During installation select ONLY the MKV filter.
But if you have OGG audio in your file, or many audio tracks... WMP12 won't work. Use Media Player Classic Home Cinema. (But only for files that doesn't play in WMP12)

Hdmi output in Win7, using WMP12 should work without problems. Only link it and enable the output using the Intel Config Panel. (Right click on the desktop to reach it). About overscan problems (picture cropped): search in your tv for some settings about it or about linking PCs to Tv. Maybe will solve the problem.

The perfect way
There's a problem using WMP12... It can be noticed specially by video quality fans and anime fans. The resizing algorithm used by the driver it's not bad for Luma resampling... But it doesn't upsample the Chroma planes. And this is bad. When you have some bright colour over another (especially red, but even blue), you will notice big squared artifacts. In anime material, especially not high res one is horrible.
Here comes FFDShow. Be aware: you should use these only on Low-Def DivX (or Xvid) material. NOT FINISHED

TO BE FINISHED

The GMA500 Guru: ask me for every video problem! (Or if you desire a perfect video experience)
Win Xp, Driver .1016, Full Hd Youtube Working; Win7, Driver .2019
Dell Mini 10, HDD Momentus 7200.2 160gb (best 2.5" access time )
  (#2) Old

Default 03-02-2010, 06:58 PM

WOW thank you. No need to respond to the PM I sent you.

Latest GMA500 Video Drivers Found Here

Macbook Mini 10v | 2GB G.skill PC2 5300 | Atom N280 | 160GB HDD | SL 10.6.2 | Bios A06 | NBI 0.8.3 Final |

Dell Mini 10 | 1GB ram | 160GB HDD | Win 7 Starter |
  (#3) Old

Default 03-03-2010, 01:18 PM

I got smooth 720p mkv & mp4 playback on WinXP with the steps below. Actually I did not check if 1080p works, will try that soon and post here.

- Install latest official drivers for GMA 500
- Install Haali Media Splitter
- Use Windows Media Player

Feel free to add on the sticky please.
  (#4) Old

Default 03-03-2010, 03:39 PM

Can you check if you are using CyberLink codec through this program? Thanks!
http://bluesky23.hp.infoseek.co.jp/d...32_2.2.0.1.zip

The GMA500 Guru: ask me for every video problem! (Or if you desire a perfect video experience)
  (#5) Old

Default 03-04-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berga.d View Post
Can you check if you are using CyberLink codec through this program? Thanks!
http://bluesky23.hp.infoseek.co.jp/d...32_2.2.0.1.zip
started the program. can you point me to where to look for the cyberlink-codec?
  (#6) Old

Default 03-07-2010, 10:25 AM

You have to click on "check ..." load up an h264 file, and then you should read me what appear in red... Or send me a screenshot.

(#7) Old

Default 03-08-2010, 08:30 PM

Very good information, but WMP still has problems for me with playback of several videos (win7 starter). VLC, which plays almost everything on my desktop, has also had some problems. Media Player Classic home cinema hasn't had a problem for me with the CoreAVC codec.

Do you need to enable the Cyberlink codec in WMP, or is already part of the default settings?
  (#8) Old

Default 03-08-2010, 09:41 PM

I am using Cyberlink Codec. See Screenshot!
Attached Thumbnails
Unbenannt.JPG  
  (#9) Old

Default 03-09-2010, 08:28 AM

@largeelvis
Please can you tell me exactly what kind of videos wmp12 can't play?
I don't think there is the Cyberlink codec preinstalled on win7 mini's...

@minis
So it seems to be preinstalled on most XP Minis... Good. I will add this.

(#10) Old

Default 03-10-2010, 04:20 PM

We looking forward to see the rest of guide.

« Apple Logo Stickers | Quite a deal on the 1010 w/TV »