Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#1) Old
Default Mini 10 Trackpad driver modification - 02-07-2010, 11:24 PM

This post isn't concerning hadware, but it could be the begining of an update.. for this f*****g trackpad.

Here is what I found, but as I am not using Linux nor able to understand this, I thought it might be worth for some of you guys:

source: n3wblog - Dell Mini 10 Trackpad fix for Crunchbang

Dell Mini 10 Trackpad fix for Crunchbang

In Computing on 17 January 2010 tagged Computing, dell, drivers, Linux, mini, netbook, synaptics, touchpad, trackpad with no comments
Late last week I was griping about the poor trackpad performance on the Dell Mini 10 and decided to try to fix it. It was usable, but difficult and caused a lot of erroneous clicks and mouse-moves and was a bit like trying to use a Fisher Price toy to perform brain surgery. Clunky, imprecise, and dangerous.
A quick search found this superuser suggestion to install the Synaptics touchpad driver from the Ubuntu repository. Searching in the package manager turned up libsynaptics and gsynaptics so I installed them both.
Before this would work, I needed to create a file according to the instructions found Kogan Agora Netbook blog:
sudo vim /etc/hal/fdi/policy/shmconfig.fdi
Once opened, it needed to have the following as its contents:
< ?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<deviceinfo version="0.2">
<match key="input.x11_driver" string="synaptics">
<merge key="input.x11_options.SHMConfig" type="string">True</merge>
I have no idea of that version number is correct, but this allowed me to move on. Additionally, in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, I added the section (via sudo vim):
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
Driver "synaptics"
Option "SHMConfig" "true"
after rebooting (or logging out, or restarting X), you can then run gsynaptics from gmrun or the terminal. Even better, assign a new entry to the OpenBox menu to execute gsynaptics from a System menu item labeled Touchpad. Once you have that, you can decrease the sensitivity of the touchpad, add and tweak acceleration values and modify tapping behavior. It works really well and has radically reduced the number of accidental mouse actions. This tweak alone has made the Crunchbang netbook experience much much better.

Black mini 1011
AZERTY Keybard
OSX 10.6
NBI Final Realease
  (#2) Old
Default Easier way? - 03-15-2010, 03:26 PM

Is there an easier way to cure the trackpad because that looks beyond me.

Snow Leopard's working just fine but the trackpad is the only thing left to do and is so frustrating

(#3) Old
Default 12-04-2011, 09:48 PM

Yes Ditto to what Rob said. I know that this is an old tread but are there any new solutions whether its a kext/driver/software solution/etc. to fix the trackpad because nothing seems to work.

Snow Leopard's working just fine but the trackpad is the only thing left to do and is so irritating

« How load windows onto Mini 10? | Another Charging Issue »