Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#11) Old
Default 02-02-2010, 09:02 PM

First, you will want a decent antivirus and firewall. I like Norton Internet Security 2010, but for free, Microsoft Security Essentials and the XP Firewall are good. Firefox for a web browser. Other suggestions here have been good.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#12) Old
Default 02-03-2010, 01:31 AM

Don't bother with VLC. It's highly CPU-intensive, your Atom will choke.

Enable hardware acceleration in Media Player Classic (or whatever player you choose). The important part is the hardware acceleration.

If you need more power, download SetFSB. Find out how high you can overclock your Mini and then make a short cut (either on your desktop or a dock) that automatically overclocks for you whenever it's clicked.
  (#13) Old
Default 02-03-2010, 05:45 AM

download windows 7 and install that on to it i currently have windows 7 installed on mine it works fine just aswell as xp

comodo seems like a good firewall and antivirus intergrated into one i used to use zonealarm and comodo is FREE

vlc works fine imo i watch movies with that all the time its one of my fav apps i have the same mini 10 model as you OP

i dont like chrome perfer firefox lol

then theres like snes emulators or sega loads of old schools stuff ScummVM is really good
  (#14) Old
Default 02-03-2010, 09:29 PM

How's the TV tuner working for you?
  (#15) Old
Default 02-03-2010, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by skeptiq View Post
All good... so any suggestions for handy pgms for a mini, LOL!
A good start is AVG for virus and malware protection; uses very little resources. Another good add on is Iobit Smart Defrag; it will do a clean up of your hard drive and then move all of your most used programs to the beginning of the hard drive so they load faster and put the stuff you don't use very often in the back. Opera runs a little faster than Firefox; but I consider both of them essential. Advanced systemcare is also great for taking care of your regestry and getting rid of old unused files. Make sure you have the latest GMA 500 driver for XP and you won't have problems with video playback. And of course Open office; which is worth its weight in gold. And the nice thing is all this STUFF is FREE. Have fun; the mini is a nice little machine. fdalbor

Dell Mini 1010 XP--10.04/Mandriva One/Joli 1.2
Compaq R4000 laptop AMD 64
Compaq SR2034NX AMD 64
  (#16) Old
Default 02-03-2010, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
Shouldn't you have done this research before you bought the netbook?
Netbook was given to me few weeks ago. The info in this thread has been very valuable, thanks everyone.

« mini 10v xp bluetooth not working | SSD to SATA: Expensive to Cheap »