Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#1) Old
Default Dell Mini 10 Nonupgradeable RAM - 01-03-2010, 03:30 PM

Hi All,
I got a Dell Mini 10 a couple of months ago. When I bought this system I had asked the Dell Representative about the upgradeable RAM and he had said," yes it can be upgraded later with 2 GB RAM and that it has only one slot so you can buy 2 gb RAM and install urself". I have this dell communication chat sent by Dell in a mail.
But now I found out that Dell Mini 10 (not 10v) cannot be upgraded to 2 GB RAM since the memory is soldered onto the motherboard.

Can Dell help me with this misguidance, can anyone suggest anything.

(#2) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 01-03-2010, 04:31 PM

either he got mixed up between the 10 and 10v or he flat out lied to you...there is some talk nowadays about Dell maybe releasing a 2gb daughter board (which is what the memory is soldered to) in the future, but the only problem is that the processor is also on the daughter board which would probably make it a pretty pricey item..

PS: I think that you can also order the Mini 10 with 2gb with Ubuntu loaded on it, someone thought of maybe orderring that and then just reformatting the drive and loading Windows...dont know if they ever did it or not or if it is still available like that or not

Oh yeah.....Welcome to the forum too

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#3) Old
Expert Member
Default 01-04-2010, 03:53 PM

Yeah, good luck, I doubt if there is any recourse. Pretty much sums up my experience when I ordered my 10, although in talk with a Dell rep specifically asking about upgrading RAM, was told the RAM was upgradeable.

« dell mini 10 pixelated video | GMA 500 Owners Who Want to Use Ubuntu 9.10 Look here.. »