Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#1) Old
Default Other Software for GPS? - 01-02-2010, 07:05 PM

My dell mini has the GPS option and it works pretty well with the co-pilot software, but I was wondering if there was any way to make it work with other software, like google earth. Also, would it work with any software that has the entire world offline (no internet connection needed)? I'm going to be in some remote areas and it would be fun to be able to use the GPS there. I don't need roads or navigation, I just want to see a map or aerial view.

Does anyone know of a way to use the GPS to tag pictures? I know you can save GPS coordinates to pictures, but is there any software available that will do this using the GPS in the mini when the pictures are copied to it?
  (#2) Old
Default 01-06-2010, 05:40 AM

i'd try microsoft streets and trips 2009/2010 and/or delorme street atlas. both can be scored for cheap on ebay.
  (#3) Old
Default 01-09-2010, 09:04 AM

I did kind of get google earth to put my position on its map. It's not as accurate and reliable as the dell location utility though. the dell utility will get my position within 114m almost instantly using wifi and then within 10m using GPS in a minute or two. I've been able to get google earth to plot my position a couple times in about 2 hours of trying. I'm not sure why it's so much more difficult.

From what I can tell, microsoft and delorme only offer USA or Europe maps at reasonable prices.

Looks like google earth might be my best bet, even though it needs an internet connection. I won't be able to cache everything, but maybe most of it.

« Mini 10 - Random crashes after installing ubuntu 9.04 | W7 64 bits »