Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#1) Old
Default integrated webcam (win7) how do you work it? - 12-16-2009, 05:21 AM

I have a dell mini 10 that I upgraded to Windows 7. I have all of the drivers installed and working now (no exclamation marks in computer management). There is an Integrated Webcam listed and I don't know how to use it. In Windows XP there was an icon under My Computer. Well that's no longer there in Windows 7.

I did some searching and found a program called "Dell Webcam Center" and installed it (about 120MB). However, running this program, it states "No supported webcam driver detected. Please install the webcam driver using the Dell Resource CD and launch Webcam Center again."

I go into device manager and it says that the device is working properly. I also tried doing a search for updated drivers by scanning and it said I already have the latest driver for the device installed.

So how do I go about accessing this webcam?
  (#2) Old
Retired Mini user
Default 12-16-2009, 08:46 AM

If you just want to snap photos you need the latest version of the Webcam Center, which unfortunately Dell hasn't placed on it's site yet.

Otherwise, just load up whatever IM software you want: Skype, Yahoo Messenger, etc... It'll find it and use it.

Getting an iPad
  (#3) Old
Default 12-16-2009, 03:50 PM

With the win7 driver Messenger will work and you can watch or record your webcam through some programs, like VLC.

However have you tried installing the latest driver from Dell? Their download page is not perfect, the latest webcam driver is only under Xp but it will work well under Win7 and maybe Webcam central too will work.

You will need webcam center if you want to use the "night mode" of our webcam! It's a beautiful feature in my opinion.

The GMA500 Guru: ask me for every video problem! (Or if you desire a perfect video experience)
Win Xp, Driver .1016, Full Hd Youtube Working; Win7, Driver .2019
Dell Mini 10, HDD Momentus 7200.2 160gb (best 2.5" access time )
  (#4) Old
Default 12-17-2009, 12:33 AM

I tried the Windows XP driver and it made no difference. The Dell webcam software cannot detect the webcam, which is odd because I just tried VLC and it worked just fine.

There are no settings in the Dell webcam software that appear to have anything to do with what capture device should be ported through it.
  (#5) Old
Default 12-17-2009, 03:12 AM

go to Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET, and search for "webcam software" or just simply "webcam"

i'm sure you can find many programs to suit your needs.
  (#6) Old
Default 12-18-2009, 01:14 PM

Another nice option to use the webcam is in facebook. You can click post video and click from webcam and it starts your webcam and you can just record quick video status updates instead of text.

« Youtube full hd youtube video streaming now working!!! | 6 cell battery from 10 not compatible with 10v? »