Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#1) Old
Default About wrong luminance levels (black is not black in videos under XP...) - 12-09-2009, 07:57 PM

I have noticed this problem: using DXVA acceleration under winXp, and often even w/o DXVA, will result in wrong levels: 16-235 insteadof 0-255. mplayer classic can correct this, but it's pixel shaders are too complex for our gpu. This cause black to appear like dark grey, white not very white,and generally an image *not* with perfect contrast. I have found a way to correct this! Using the intel utility, set brightness at -16, and rise contrast up of 2!!

EDIT: or of 1, more will enchance brilliance, but it will halter normal desktop colors, so you will have to switch these setting every time you watch a video if use more.
  (#2) Old
Default 12-09-2009, 08:49 PM

Good tip. For those of you running Linux, the "xvattr" utility and a video player displaying a test pattern can fix the same problem.

Edit: Mplayer can also adjust the values itself.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit

« Dell 1010 Windows 7 install questions | What Mini PCI-E USB devices could I put in ex TV tuner slot? »